• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

Women with swords

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
Due to sickness I've had a lot of time on my hands lately, though not the energy for anything requiring much effort. So I ended up reading up on casual topics that interest me, such as .... women with swords, as depicted in contemporary art and film.

I found the below blog entry instructive, and thought it would be worth sharing, especially since there is much interest in feminist topics on this board.
Recently, an artist pointed out how boob armor can kill you and someone else created a terrific blog entry for Tor on the subject.But that’s only the beginning of everything that’s wrong with depictions of women warriors.The biggest problem? Swords.
Full article: http://mariaalexander.wordpress.com/2013/06/14/why-i-hate-most-photos-and-drawings-of-women-with-swords/

Envy

Just lazing around
If you expect realistic fights/weapon handling from fiction, then you're doing it wrong.

Not to say that the thing about women having to look "sexy" all the time is getting annoying.

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
I found a digital copy of the Players Handbook (D&D), where someone had replaced the normal front cover with a picture of a women holding a sword.

Armor was a non-issue. :eek::p

Andy_T

Addicted Poster
Forum Moderator
Seriously??? This is an 8 hour + video of people in metal cans (can't discern their genders, however, most seem to be men to me) trying to bash and dent each other?
You must really have a lot of time on your hands :D

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
Seriously??? This is an 8 hour + video of people in metal cans (can't discern their genders, however, most seem to be men to me) trying to bash and dent each other?
You must really have a lot of time on your hands :D
It was a live broadcast at the time. I took the commentator's word for it that there were women underneath all the armour.

Andy_T

Addicted Poster
Forum Moderator
Haha, yes, I saw a few in the awards ceremony, but the parts I saw seemed to have mainly male participation.
Anyway, would be hard to discern with the armor!

Brian

Mad Bard
My wife and I are always making fun of the silly armour in fantasy art but I had never thought about the swords before. Great post Indian Summer.

Andy_T

Addicted Poster
Forum Moderator
Haha, yes, I saw a few in the awards ceremony, but the parts I saw seemed to have mainly male participation.
Anyway, would be hard to discern with the armor!
So, having now also read the link from your original post about female armor, it seems the armor in the video was good armor (as it was not possible to discern any female forms below them)