1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Women with swords

Discussion in 'Arts & Crafts' started by Indian Summer, Dec 30, 2013.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

Due to sickness I've had a lot of time on my hands lately, though not the energy for anything requiring much effort. So I ended up reading up on casual topics that interest me, such as .... women with swords, as depicted in contemporary art and film.

I found the below blog entry instructive, and thought it would be worth sharing, especially since there is much interest in feminist topics on this board.
    Full article: http://mariaalexander.wordpress.com...ost-photos-and-drawings-of-women-with-swords/

• Like Like x 1
  2. Envy

Envy Just lazing around

If you expect realistic fights/weapon handling from fiction, then you're doing it wrong.

Not to say that the thing about women having to look "sexy" all the time is getting annoying.

3. beancounter

beancounter The Fire That Burns Within

I found a digital copy of the Players Handbook (D&D), where someone had replaced the normal front cover with a picture of a women holding a sword.

Armor was a non-issue. :eek::p

4. Indian Summer

Women with swords, axes, shields and armour, live from Denmark!

5. Andy_T

Andy_T Addicted Poster Forum Moderator

Seriously??? This is an 8 hour + video of people in metal cans (can't discern their genders, however, most seem to be men to me) trying to bash and dent each other?
    You must really have a lot of time on your hands :D

6. Indian Summer

It was a live broadcast at the time. I took the commentator's word for it that there were women underneath all the armour.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Andy_T

Haha, yes, I saw a few in the awards ceremony, but the parts I saw seemed to have mainly male participation.
    Anyway, would be hard to discern with the armor!

8. Brian

Brian Star Member

My wife and I are always making fun of the silly armour in fantasy art but I had never thought about the swords before. Great post Indian Summer.

9. Andy_T

So, having now also read the link from your original post about female armor, it seems the armor in the video was good armor (as it was not possible to discern any female forms below them)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice