1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Linguistics Why You're Offensive & Don't Know It

Discussion in 'Social Sciences & Humanities' started by Bite Size Vegan, Feb 15, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bite Size Vegan

Bite Size Vegan Vegan Fruit-Ninja

What violent and offensive things are you saying every day without knowing it? With all the "Politically Correct" terminology out there, one group remains regularly slandered, victimized and devalued in our everyday speech. This video looks into the linguistic oversights we all take for granted. Words are powerful, and how we talk about things and each other greatly affects our perception.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

I think I steer clear of most of these terms, probably instinctually ... Except I do say "pig-like" (well, the equivalent term in Norwegian) about something or someone being dirty / unclean / unsanitary. I need a good replacement for that term.

3. Spang

Spang Foot Fetisher

I still refer to cops as pigs.

4. Steering clear, IS ?!? [emoji33]

J/K!

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Naturebound

Naturebound Renowned Member

I first became very self aware of my use of animal terms in a derogatory way when I read the book "
    The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory" by Carol Adams. I still find myself doing it but far less frequently than I used to. It is just so ingrained in the culture I have lived in all my life that it still comes automatically. Unlearning takes a long long time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bite Size Vegan

Bite Size Vegan Vegan Fruit-Ninja

I read that in college ;D Lots to think about