• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

What's in Your Fruit Bowl ?

silva

Addicted Poster
Finally - a 5 lb bag of grapefruit, 3 organic gala apples, 2 mangos, blueberries in fridge and freezer, strawberries in freezer
and 2 horribly ripe bananas my son swore he'd use in a smoothie :rolleyes:

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Two apples, not sure of the variety. I got them from the fruit stand in the dining room, and when I washed them I removed the product stickers.

Val

Extraterrestrial
Still lots of our own apples, +asian pears, mandarins, avocados (i don't like avocados, but i approve when mom eats them).

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
Still lots of our own apples, +asian pears, mandarins, avocados (i don't like avocados, but i approve when mom eats them).
Have you ever tried using avocados when making dessert ? You can also add diced avocado when making a salad with grains, grated carrots etc.

Val

Extraterrestrial
Have you ever tried using avocados when making dessert ? You can also add diced avocado when making a salad with grains, grated carrots etc.
The problem is that it's very hard to find ripened avocados here. Plus they are pricy,- they are being exported from South America. I don't think it's worth it, if i don't like it's taste itself,- (i've tried ripened avocados too, and i didn't like them even more:iiam:). E.g., i like beets as they are, so it's convenient to add them to salads, so they don't spoil the mix's taste, but, unfortunately, i don't like carrots, therefore i don't add them anywhere, even to soups, because, eventually, i still feel every taste separately. So, i want every taste to match my bad habits.:D

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
The problem is that it's very hard to find ripened avocados here. Plus they are pricy,- they are being exported from South America. I don't think it's worth it, if i don't like it's taste itself,- (i've tried ripened avocados too, and i didn't like them even more:iiam:). E.g., i like beets as they are, so it's convenient to add them to salads, so they don't spoil the mix's taste, but, unfortunately, i don't like carrots, therefore i don't add them anywhere, even to soups, because, eventually, i still feel every taste separately. So, i want every taste to match my bad habits.:D
Most of the avocados in stores over here are under ripe. The ready to eat ones cost more than double the price. I just put them into a paper bag with an apple and they ripen within a few days.
Adding carrots was just an example. You can add any vegetable you like when making a grain/vegetable salad.

If you like chocolate, you can make a mousse using pureed avocado.

KLS52

Only Kindness Matters
My favorite way to eat avocado is on toast...and the toast has to have Miyokos butter. :lick:
I also like it in salad.
Or mashed next to hummus and salsa and scooped with fresh pita bread (actually Greek flatbread).

Val

Extraterrestrial
Most of the avocados in stores over here are under ripe. The ready to eat ones cost more than double the price. I just put them into a paper bag with an apple and they ripen within a few days.
Adding carrots was just an example. You can add any vegetable you like when making a grain/vegetable salad.

If you like chocolate, you can make a mousse using pureed avocado.
I think, the most realistic scenario, is that i'll be making guacamole quite soon.:) I've been thinking about it for a long time. I just need some inspiration. I was thinking about buying expensive shop-brand guacamole in order just to try it, but, as a rule, they're not vegan. If i find ripened avocados on discount in the nearest future (there have been some occasions!), i'll be making guacamole. It will be the first step towards avocados, lol.:p

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
My favorite way to eat avocado is on toast...and the toast has to have Miyokos butter. :lick:
I also like it in salad.
Or mashed next to hummus and salsa and scooped with fresh pita bread (actually Greek flatbread).
Yes, either mashed, guacamole !!! I sometimes have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.;)

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
I think, the most realistic scenario, is that i'll be making guacamole quite soon.:) I've been thinking about it for a long time. I just need some inspiration. I was thinking about buying expensive shop-brand guacamole in order just to try it, but, as a rule, they're not vegan. If i find ripened avocados on discount in the nearest future (there have been some occasions!), i'll be making guacamole. It will be the first step towards avocados, lol.:p
Don't buy store made guac as it really does not taste like the real thing. Authentic guac. is vegan.;)