• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

What are your fool proof seitan recipes?

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
Hmm, there is a fair amount of liquid in the recipe I use. A cup of veggie broth, I believe, plus some soy sauce, for four links. I think that helps, though they aren't super moist, but I actually like the texture and whatnot. I thought they might be rubbery, but they aren't.
I think that it is the method which makes them dryer. I just made a another batch using the simmering method and the sausages are really much moister. I will certainly try the foil method once again.

Last edited:

PTree15

Beach bum
I think that it is the method which makes them dryer. I just made a another batch using the simmering method and the sausages are really much moister. I will certainly try the foil method once again.
Ah, OK. I guess it depends on the level of moisture desired. I could try your method to see how they come out. :) They are very squishy and loose when I shape them, so I am wondering how they would hold up shape-wise using the simmer method.

Last edited by a moderator:

silva

Addicted Poster
I also wrap sausages in foil and either bake over a broil rack with water on the bottom, or on a rack in a steamer. I don't think they're dry that way. The dough itself is a bit wetter than what I make if simmering though.
Lately I've been putting seitan in small loaves in a casserole, covered in broth, and covered with foil, and baked.

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
@shyvas- how do you do your Lincolnshire sausages?
I use wheat gluten, Lupino flour (or soya ) yeast flakes, ground sage, ground onion, ground coriander, ground mace, smoked paprika, ground thyme, black pepper, Lo Salt, olive oil and water.

The actual flavour and texture is delicious. However, I find that the simmering method makes the sausages much moister.

silva

Addicted Poster
I made sausages the other day. I wanted to use up some of the pintos I'd cooked. I had the gluten, all the spices, the broth made--then I went for the beans-gone! Luckily I had a pack of silken tofu so I mashed that up really well. I think I do like tofu in sausage more than beans!
I wrapped in foil and used my Instant Pot on steam for 40 minutes- regular time because they're wrapped.
That Pot is amazing! :)

silva

Addicted Poster
@silva How much tofu did you use for the recipe?
I followed Isa's Italian sausage recipe which calls for 1/2 mashed beans, so I used 1/2 cup silken tofu. I've used tofu before, but not since my immersion blender died. I mashed it and added the broth and oil together

PTree15

Beach bum
I followed Isa's Italian sausage recipe which calls for 1/2 mashed beans, so I used 1/2 cup silken tofu. I've used tofu before, but not since my immersion blender died. I mashed it and added the broth and oil together
Thank you! I think that's the recipe I use as well.

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
I've just made a batch of steamed white seitan. I stocked up with various seasonings that I bought in the US.

They certainly make a difference to the end result when making seitan. Morover, they are quite inexpensive over there.

I'm planning to freeze half of the batch so that I can make chili and cottage pie next week.