1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

What are your fool proof seitan recipes?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Mel, Nov 4, 2015.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

I think that it is the method which makes them drier. I just made a another batch using the simmering method and the sausages are really much moister. I will certainly try the foil method once again.

2. PTree15

PTree15 Beach bum

Ah, OK. I guess it depends on the level of moisture desired. I could try your method to see how they come out. :) They are very squishy and loose when I shape them, so I am wondering how they would hold up shape-wise using the simmer method.

3. silva

silva Addicted Poster

I also wrap sausages in foil and either bake over a broil rack with water on the bottom, or on a rack in a steamer. I don't think they're dry that way. The dough itself is a bit wetter than what I make if simmering though.
    Lately I've been putting seitan in small loaves in a casserole, covered in broth, and covered with foil, and baked.

4. silva

silva Addicted Poster

@shyvas- how do you do your Lincolnshire sausages?

5. shyvas

I use wheat gluten, Lupino flour (or soya ) yeast flakes, ground sage, ground onion, ground coriander, ground mace, smoked paprika, ground thyme, black pepper, Lo Salt, olive oil and water.

The actual flavour and texture is delicious. However, I find that the simmering method makes the sausages much moister.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. silva

silva Addicted Poster

I made sausages the other day. I wanted to use up some of the pintos I'd cooked. I had the gluten, all the spices, the broth made--then I went for the beans-gone! Luckily I had a pack of silken tofu so I mashed that up really well. I think I do like tofu in sausage more than beans!
    I wrapped in foil and used my Instant Pot on steam for 40 minutes- regular time because they're wrapped.
    That Pot is amazing! :)

7. PTree15

PTree15 Beach bum

@silva How much tofu did you use for the recipe?

8. silva

silva Addicted Poster

I followed Isa's Italian sausage recipe which calls for 1/2 mashed beans, so I used 1/2 cup silken tofu. I've used tofu before, but not since my immersion blender died. I mashed it and added the broth and oil together

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. PTree15

PTree15 Beach bum

Thank you! I think that's the recipe I use as well.

10. silva

silva Addicted Poster

It is! :) I'd done it before, but I looked up yours because they looked so good!

• Like Like x 1
  11. shyvas

I've just made a batch of steamed white seitan. I stocked up with various seasonings that I bought in the US.

They certainly make a difference to the end result when making seitan. Morover, they are quite inexpensive over there.

I'm planning to freeze half of the batch so that I can make chili and cottage pie next week.

• Like Like x 2
  12. silva

silva Addicted Poster

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice