1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Literature What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Media & Entertainment' started by Rosie, Jun 2, 2012.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Katrina

Katrina Deity

I just finished reading "A Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. I love the TV series, so I decided to check out the source material. I like the series better. The book leaves too many unanswered questions.

Now there are a couple of books on hold at the library: "The Man Who Japed" by Philip K Dick and "Children of Men." I'll have to wait a while due to the holiday hours. Booo!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mischief

Mischief Stranger in a strange land

I recently read My Sister, the Serial Killer, by Oyinkan Braithwaite. The author is Nigerian, and the book is set in Nigeria.

It's described as "darkly funny", but I didn't find it funny. I see it as an exploration of how shared childhood trauma can tie people together more strongly than almost anything else.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mischief

Mischief Stranger in a strange land

Other books I have read recently:

The Chalk Man, by C.J. Tudor. This is the author's first book, and it's a well done psychological thriller/mystery.

The Punch
    , by Noah Hawley. Not as good as some of his books, but a fairly entertaining read.

Under the Harrow, by Flynn Berry. Nominally, it's a murder mystery, but really it's about loss and grief. This was this author's first book, and she's written another one (which I read first). Another very promising writer.

Clock Dance, by Anne Tyler. Anne Tyler has been writing about families for a long time, and she does it beautifully. This is not one of her best, but it's still better than Hawley's The Punch. She's the writer Hawley aspires to be.

Severance, by Ling Ma. This is one of those self consciously clever books that fails to be either clever or entertaining because it is so very self conscious.

Robiceaux, by James Lee Burke. I've been reading Robiceaux mysteries for 30 years or so, ever since I picked up In the Electric Mists with Confederate Dead at a used book fair. This book has been out for almost a year, and I didn't realize it. The good news is, the next one will be out in a month.

March Violets, by Phillip Kerr. In the style of American detective noir, but with a German detective, set in Hitler's Germany, which makes it very noir indeed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Peter

Peter Famous Member

I haven't read that book yet, Jamie, but the title seems very appealing. Parenting should always be unconditional imho.

5. Tom

Tom Addicted Poster

I'll have to read some of his works. I know the Harrison Ford movie "Blade Runner" is based on Dick's novel: "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" I've been familiar with his name, but somehow never got around to reading anything by him. So long as it's not too depressing/dark, and not about some sort of space war, I think I'll enjoy his work.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tom

Tom Addicted Poster

^^^ I read some short stories by Philip K. Dick over the weekend. They were mostly pretty dystopian, but with a lot of insight, and not too depressing (considering what they were usually about). One story touched on animal rights and welfare, and had an interesting twist: "Beyond Lies The Wub".

I also read a novelization of a "Dr Who" episode starring David Tennant and Freema Agyeman (sp?), also touching on animal-treatment issues: "The Last Dodo". I had a problem with it: Martha (Freema Agyeman's character) is a physician, and obviously intelligent/cerebral, but she's written sort of ditzy in this. The Doctor can be quite goofy too, but I didn't think Martha's treatment in this novelization did her justice. I've seen a few episodes including her, and she's one of the Doctor's strongest companions.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice