• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

Wanting to "practise" on Linux?

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Heya I hope this is in the right place, I am going to be doing some work using Linux soon and I wanted to practise/get familiar with it, to make it easier and also so I don't look like an idiot! Someone mentioned to me I can download something to open it up in a window on Windows, to see what it is like, but I didn't understand it well enough to be able to work out how to do this via searching the internet. Does anybody know what I am on about (I'm not sure I do!) and can point me in the right direction?

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
You may be thinking of some flavours of Linux that can be booted from a CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or USB disk. Here's a page describing the Ubuntu Live CD:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

There is also a way to install Ubuntu from Windows so that the two operating systems exist side by side on the same hard drive partition. I believe from Windows the Ubuntu Linux OS then basically just looks like a big file, and you can use the usual Windows functionality to uninstall it in the event that you don't want it any more:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

Hope that helps!

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Ah that's perfect. I made a CD with Ubuntu and booted it from that and it worked :) Thanks a lot!

sleepydvdr

Veteran Member
Slightly off topic, but still Linux related... What I love about Linux is it does not hide things from you like Windows does.

Just last week, someone at my job had a virus I couldn't get rid of it while the computer was booted up and running an AV scan. When I hooked the drive up as a slave to another computer, the files would not show up even though I had "show hidden files" and "show system files" enabled. I think that because they were in a user account, they refused to show. I booted to a Linux disk, found the virus files and deleted them. Virus was gone for good!

Also, Linux shows hidden Windows shares and hidden SSIDs from wireless networks.

Joe

Celebrity Member
I
Heya I hope this is in the right place, I am going to be doing some work using Linux soon and I wanted to practise/get familiar with it, to make it easier and also so I don't look like an idiot! Someone mentioned to me I can download something to open it up in a window on Windows, to see what it is like, but I didn't understand it well enough to be able to work out how to do this via searching the internet. Does anybody know what I am on about (I'm not sure I do!) and can point me in the right direction?
I think you may have been thinking of Cygwin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin

I don't know that much about it.

(Booting from Linux/Unix live cds/dvds should work, too. But that would actually be using Linux/Unix.)

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
Yes, I thought of Cygwin as well. I didn't like it very much when I used it many years ago, but I suppose it may have improved since.

Another possibility is to install a Virtual Machine software such as VMWare which will allow you to install and try out several flavours of Linux.