1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

News Veganz - Stores Closed

Discussion in 'The Vegan Forum' started by shyvas, Oct 17, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

https://veganz.de/en/stores/

The World's First Vegan Supermarket Chain Just Went Bankrupt

"Unfortunately, we had to close our branches in Frankfurt, Leipzig, Hamburg, Essen, Vienna and Munich. We would like to thank all customers who visited our markets. But even if we are no longer with our stores – Veganz and our products are still there for you! At the Veganz online shop shop.veganz.de you can continue to order all the delicious products you love. Take a look and see!"

As the chain has closed all it's German and European based stores; they will not be opening one in
    London as previously announced.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

From the Vice article linked to in the OP:

3. Mufflon

Mufflon Star Member

Maybe some people also had unrealistic expectations about what customers are willing to pay for their groceries.

4. Andy_T

Andy_T Addicted Poster Forum Moderator

Erm, no.

First, that article is from Jan 2017, about 21 months ago.

Second, those familiar with the story here in Germany suggest it was a deliberate decision on part of Veganz to let the distribution company go bankrupt after having carefully separated the production and distribution parts of the business, to the detriment of small investors in the distribution part and partners who had invested in setting up shops in their supermarkets. They rather focused on delivering their products to « normal » supermarkets where they sometimes get complete shelves to stack with all their products. So there are many here who consider them as vegan, but not necessarily as ethical.

5. Mufflon

Mufflon Star Member

U-huh... I've seen a few Veganz products (and other vegan products) in the shelves of several stores but I've sadly also seen them vanish again because they don't sell. When looking at the price tags I can see exactly why.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

I totally agree. Vegan products in the US are also quite expensive. I treated myself to some Gardein products on sale plus Beyond Meat. However, I couldn't afford to buy them on a daily basis.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice