1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Vegan recipe books reviews & recommendations.

Discussion in 'The Vegan Forum' started by Muggle, Nov 2, 2012.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. AeryFairy

AeryFairy Anachronism

I don't know, I've always made the margarine version... but I use oil when cooking the basic chocolate ones and they don't come out like that :S Don't know why they would... under-mixing perhaps? Or not letting the soy milk/vinegar mix thicken properly?

2. RabbitLuvr

RabbitLuvr I love rabbits.

Maybe I'll try the margarine version, and hope I have better luck with it. I'm planning to make rainbow cupcakes on Friday, so I'll try the other version then. :)

3. Alice-Bee

Alice-Bee Mad as A Hatter

4. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

Talking about cider vinegar. 1 tsp in a glass of fizzy water is an excellent remedy for indigestion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AeryFairy

AeryFairy Anachronism

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kittendumpling

Kittendumpling Crafty Wino

^ This. Their stuff is real honest food which is surprisingly easy and utterly lovely!

• Like Like x 2
  7. I also think their cookbooks are pretty funny. I really like reading cookbooks, and Isa's are pretty entertaining. :D

• Like Like x 5
  8. Kittendumpling

Kittendumpling Crafty Wino

Yeah, they're funny and conversational.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CrazyCatLady

CrazyCatLady World Class Member

Has anyone got the Vegan Cooking or Living Vegan for Dummies books? Xxx

10. Alice-Bee

11. SummerRain

SummerRain I dreamed that God would be forgiving.

I find that it will work with any type of milk, but it works better with soya milk. I've never tried with almond milk, but I have with oat, rice and soya milk and soya there was a distinguishable difference.

12. Alice-Bee

Does this recipe sound like its been converted correctly.

Original:
    To.....

13. kibbleforlola

kibbleforlola Lola Worshiper

Vegan Soups and Stews for All Seasons. It's been getting a lot of use lately with the craptastic weather we've had lately, and the no-chicken noodle soup is my omni bf's most requested meal.

14. Alice-Bee

15. SummerRain

You weren't talking to me, but lots of difference. People often mistakenly think that more raising agents = more rise in your cakes, but actually if you use too much if rises too quick and collapses making your cakes very flat. SR flour is flour with raising agents already in, so in the UK people usually don't add any (or just 1/4 or 1/2 a tsp of bicarb) raising agents into cakes when using SR flour, so by using both you have effectively doubled the raising agents.

It's an easy mistake to make though! I accidentally used plain instead of SR in dumplings the other day and it took me ages to work out why a recipe I use all the time produced tight, uncooked and tough little dough balls.

16. Alice-Bee

Would the SR flour make the cakes doughy?

17. SummerRain

I think if by doughy you mean dense and stodgy then yeah. Flat cakes = doughy and too dense, well risen caked = light and fluffy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KLS52

KLS52 Only Kindness Matters

I only use almond milk in VCTOTW vanilla cupcakes and they always turn out perfect. :)

19. RabbitLuvr

RabbitLuvr I love rabbits.

I've made those cupcakes once, and used almond milk instead of soy. They turned out delicious but quite oily. I think maybe I didn't let the almond milk and vinegar sit long enough before mixing into the batter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice