• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

Question Vegan milk

L

Lorraine

I have been vegetarian for 34 years. I have always known that there is cruelty in dairy but seeing the Guardian article about the treatment of calves has made me want to seriously find some alternatives and move closer to being a Vegan. The only dairy I eat is cheese, yogurt and milk. Vegan cheese and yogurts I can do but milk has been a problem. I only drink it in tea and only like skimmed. Taste tests seem to give higher ratings to ones which are creamier. Obviously only liking skimmed I need one that is not at all creamy. I’ve tried a couple which taste good as a drink but in tea were horrible. Does anyone know of a product that is close to skimmed milk please? Lorraine

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
I have been vegetarian for 34 years. I have always known that there is cruelty in dairy but seeing the Guardian article about the treatment of calves has made me want to seriously find some alternatives and move closer to being a Vegan. The only dairy I eat is cheese, yogurt and milk. Vegan cheese and yogurts I can do but milk has been a problem. I only drink it in tea and only like skimmed. Taste tests seem to give higher ratings to ones which are creamier. Obviously only liking skimmed I need one that is not at all creamy. I’ve tried a couple which taste good as a drink but in tea were horrible. Does anyone know of a product that is close to skimmed milk please? Lorraine
You don't say which ones you have tried. Oatly is fairly neutral in taste and it's not creamy.

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
You don't say which ones you have tried. Oatly is fairly neutral in taste and it's not creamy.
There are several types of Oatly now, the barrista and even a 'skimmed' one in addition to the original. (This is in the UK, not sure what's available in other countries.)

Mischief

Stranger in a strange land
If oat milk isn't available to you, you might try rice milk. Its consistency is much like skim milk.

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
There are several types of Oatly now, the barrista and even a 'skimmed' one in addition to the original. (This is in the UK, not sure what's available in other countries.)
I haven't seen the skimmed version of Oatly as we don't have much choice over here. Alpro is far more popular as it is stocked in major hypermarkets whilst Oatly can only be found at organic stores and Ikea's.

As most Brits just add a dash of milk in their tea, I really don't think that it would make that much difference to add the standard Oatly compared to the skimmed version. I would gather that it would only make a difference in smoothies, desserts etc.

I think that both Oatly & Alpro oat milk has the most neutral flavour when it comes to pb milk.

BTW, has anyone tasted Oatly ice cream ?