1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Twitter

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Technology' started by Indian Summer, Jun 17, 2012.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

I've been wanting to get into / understand Twitter a bit better.

What sort of interface do you use for it? Do you tend to use some client on your computer? If so, which? Or simply your web browser? Or do you stick to smartphone apps, and if so, which?

And then hash tags: If you wanted to share your wise words on a topic, do you just invent the hash tag yourself, or is there a way to search for suitable hash tags that others have already started using? Btw, does a hash tag have to be just one word? Say, if I wanted to say something about Jabba the Hut or someone else with a long name like that, what is the "correct" hash tag?

2. beanstew

beanstew Certified horsemeat free.

I use twitter a fair bit. I normally just use the web interface. I've tried a couple of open source clients but haven't been impressed.

Hashtags can be a bit random but you will often pick them up from seeing other people tweet. For events, TV shows etc. someone will probably publicise an official one. Hashtags can't contain spaces of special characters. '#jabba' or '#jabbathehut' would both work, there are no hard and fast rules. Best bet is just to dive in and pick it up as you go along.

Here is my nonsense: @substandardnerd. :)

3. beancounter

beancounter The Fire That Burns Within

Personally I don't understand the appeal of what amounts to a very limited email.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pirate

Pirate Addicted Poster

I could never get into twitter. it seems like its turned into another way that celebrities try to get attention by revealing too much information. eugh. as far as i know hash tags can be either makey uppey or proper, and have to be one word.

5. SummerRain

SummerRain I dreamed that God would be forgiving.

I have tried to get into twitter a few times, I quite like it now, I think it can be hard to get into because you expect it to be like social networking sites. You kind of expect to communicate with people you know, whereas the point is really more to communicate with people you don't know - on current/trending topics.

My biggest problem with twitter is that I don't think I'm interesting enough, or up to date with current events enough, to be on it! I never have much to say.

6. MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra ONE YEAR VEGAN! YAY!! =)

~ REBOOT ~

I joined Twitter in early 2009, when it was practically nothing... stayed away for several years... rejoined about a month ago.... I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.... I've figured out a few things on my own....

I guess I'll use this thread to post anything from my Twitter feed (or those I'm following) that might be of potential interest....

You Retweeted
    [​IMG] Mark Ruffalo‏Verified account @MarkRuffalo 2h2 hours ago

Today we mourn for Las Vegas, tomorrow we fight for them. Join the movement to end gun violence: Text ACT to 64433.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  7. MadamSarcastra

Sadly, I felt I had to "unfollow" NPR, The New Yorker, and The New York Times.... These are sites I visit regularly, but I just can't stand the repeated tweets. I already read that story two days ago, stop already! :confused: LOL

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  8. MadamSarcastra

9. MadamSarcastra

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice