1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Sociology Psychology The wilfully ignorant scoff at ethical consumers

Discussion in 'Social Sciences & Humanities' started by Indian Summer, Jan 11, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

This finding comes from a study published in Journal of Consumer Psychology:
    More: People Who Turn A Blind Eye To Child Labor Tend To Ridicule 'Ethical Consumers' (4. January 2016 )

Sounds familiar?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Andy_T

Andy_T Addicted Poster Forum Moderator

Interesting study:

Do Less Ethical Consumers Denigrate More Ethical Consumers? The Effect of Willful Ignorance on Judgments of Others - Journal of Consumer Psychology - Elsevier

This article has more information from the study: The ugly consumer: Ridiculing those who shop ethically | News Room - The Ohio State University

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. veg1973

veg1973 Well Known Member

I encounter this so often about many different "unpopular" choices I have made, not just veg*nism. It's hard to know when to keep quiet and when to stand up for what you believe.

I am always afraid that I am "giving X a bad name" when I mention that I am also Y.

TFS

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andy_T

Great, had not seen the earlier thread :)

5. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

I guess the big question is: how do we avoid triggering this reaction without staying silent about our choices and the ethical aspects of being a consumer?

6. It's interesting how Whole Foods coop, at the cash register, gives credit for each reusable bag the customer uses. They give the choice to donate it to charity. According to this study, this probably helps their customers to not be jerks to the ones reading the labels...

7. Andy_T

That might also explain why many companies producing vegan products are reluctant to put a "vegan" label clearly visible on it ... the people interested in veganism will read the ingredients and see the small mention at the back of the package, while those scoffing at veganism and other compassionate life choices might be prompted to take another product instead by their guilty conscience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. KLS52

KLS52 Only Kindness Matters

Or the fact that they think if it says vegan, it can't be good. I pretty much encounter that kind of attitude daily with some people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yeah, found that too. Don't think it helps by copying "dead animal parts" eg veggie burgers.