• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

Music The sound, sight and smell of the 80s

Cerebellion

Smokin' Crow
I never thought the 80's were so bad until all this reunion stuff started happening. Reunion tours are a good way to make one feel stupid for ever liking something

Forster

3-7-77
Popular culture wise I thought the 80s sucked. Horrible styles mixed with horrible pop music and heavy metal. Lotta significant milestones happened to me in the 80s so I can't look back at it all as a wasteland. Graduated HS, graduated college, got married and had our 1st child. The 90s were even more of a complete blur to me.

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
As far as I'm concerned, the only good things to come out of the 1980's were my niece and nephew, who were born in 1987 and 1984, respectively. A couple good Eddie Murphy movies (Trading Places and Beverly Hills Cop). Some decent rock and roll. That's about it. Even the fact that I turned 21 in 1980 and was therefore old enough to drink wasn't a big deal because I'm not a drinker.

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The 1980's sucked from beginning to end. Sorry for those of you who were born in the decade or grew up in the decade. I know you have rose-colored glasses looking back at the 1980's, but for those of us who are older than you, we have no such glasses. We know better. Sorry.

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
I was going to mention the TV series Twin Peaks, but now when I looked it up it says it actually aired in 1990. I suppose when you think about it, I guess it makes sense as the series is actually just a little bit too sophisticated for the 80s. Well, I feel that it deserves a honourable mention anyway, as it's pretty close to the 80s, and I'm sure they had started work on it while it was still 1989 :)

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
Places like this did not exist. The internet had not been commercialized yet; it was still a US government project called ARPANET.
I guess ordinary people used dial-up modems and BBSes - Bulletin Board Systems. Modern Internet forums a.k.a. boards are descendants from the message boards they had on BBSes. I didn't have access to any of this, but I did swap cracked computer games and short messages with my "contacts" on diskettes that we sent through the mail. Good times.