• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

Music The sound, sight and smell of the 80s

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
I thought we already had a thread on this, but it must have been somewhere else ...

Do you remember that fantastic decade that somehow seems to get better for every year? Cast your minds back to the clothes, the hairdos, the entire aesthetics of the era of the Reagen - Thatcher dynamic transatlantic duo. Those worry-free days before climate change when all we had to worry about was the looming threat of all-out nuclear war and atomic winter? Ah, those were the days.

What songs or videos (video killed the radio star!) best epitomises the 80s to you?

Here's a good one. The Germans were big in the 80s, and in fact I believe in Germany the 80s continued well into the 90s. This is from '84 tho. Note especially the neon sign and the keyboard players in the back!

M

mlp

I vaguely remember the 80's as being a generally awful decade of big hair, padded shoulders and worship of materialism. Fortunately, I was working too many hours to have a whole lot of detailed memories of it.

Cerebellion

Smokin' Crow
I associate the 80's with The Cure and Def Leppard. Only two bands that musically made any sort of impact on me from that whole decade. I do miss jeans with the knees ripped out. I had a few pairs of those that I wore all the time. I was still relatively young in then, though, so what do I know really. Most of the decade is a blur of one elementary school class beating after another.

Cerebellion

Smokin' Crow
I had the biggest crush on the lead singer of The Bangles. Being as young as I was then, I used to wonder why as I was strangely attracted to her

PTree15

Beach bum
For me, the 80s were about U2, Metallica, Springsteen, The Police, Peter Gabriel, Steve Winwood, Tears for Fears (I still love Shout!), The Fixx, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, John Cougar Mellancamp, Billy Idol, AC/DC, the B52's, The Cars, Crosby, Stills & Nash (and Young in the 70s :D), The Moody Blues, Simple Minds ... I think I'll stop now ;)