• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

The cat that saved my life.

Kysska

Star Member
Note: I posted this on VB some time ago, so if you posted there often this may be familiar :)
Warning: Kind of emotional, maybe TMI, but Ritzy is so special to me I want to share our story.

I have had a long history with depression ever since I got hit with the chronic, debilitating pain and fatigue that comes with having Fibromyalgia and arthritis (diagnosed when I was 12). I've also had pretty severe social anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember.

At age15, going through a particularly rough time in my life, I actually attempted suicide (I thought to myself: I'm going to be in pain forever, I can't handle a job, I can't make friends, I'll never be able to do the things I want to do - so what's the point of living only to suffer? I skipped school, downed a bottle of prescription sleeping pills and called it a day.

Well, obviously, I was unsuccessful. After seeing the effect my attempt had on my mom, I had a tremendous amount of guilt and a feeling of 'obligation' to keep living so she wouldn't have to go through that again. She was devastated.

But about a week after coming home from the hospital my mom brought home this tiny helpless 3-day old orphaned kitten from work (She worked at a shelter at the time) and, suddenly, my life had purpose. I had an actual reason for living, and I threw myself wholeheartedly into caring for and nurturing this weak little kitten into the beautiful happy cat she is today. This cat inspired me to adopt / rescue several more and my love for them started me down the path to becoming vegetarian. I now have 7 cats, 2 dogs, a squirrel, and a prairie dog. All rescues, all happy and healthy, all here because of Ritzy...

KLS52

“SnarkMaster”
Beautiful cat and beautiful story! I'm so happy you decided to stick around...and I know your rescues are happy too! :)

GingerFoxx

No effin' whey!
What a beautiful story. Oftentimes when we think our own pains, be they physical, emotional or otherwise. are just too great to handle, there is comfort to be found in relieving the pain of others, like small helpless kittens who only want to be loved. I am glad you found a purpose.

Kysska

Star Member
:smitten: Thank you guys so much for your warm and understanding responses. I'm glad to be among friends who truly understand the connection I have with these wonderful creatures. :hug:

What a beautiful story. Oftentimes when we think our own pains, be they physical, emotional or otherwise. are just too great to handle, there is comfort to be found in relieving the pain of others, like small helpless kittens who only want to be loved. I am glad you found a purpose.
I completely agree. It's therapeutic for the soul to help animals and I am forever thankful she made her way into my life. It's humbling too, for even though I'm in pain what is my suffering compared to an orphaned baby animal? It helps me get through the day knowing all my babies depend on me to care for them and give them companionship.

mary

World Class Member
Wonderful story. And wonderful that you've gone on to rescue more critters in need.