1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

The Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by beancounter, Jun 3, 2012.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra 1½ years vegan, 4 years meat-free!

So I'm trying Trolley Stop session IPA for the first time.... It's all right! Not great, not terrible... nothing particularly distinctive about it... but decent. :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. MadamSarcastra

Beer Arcades are new hot stops across Michigan -- MLIVE.com :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

@MadamSarcastra I have to be completely honest and say that I'm to the point where I'm really digging the concept of the session IPA... I'm in a place in my head where I'd like to sit back and drink a few beers rather than just a beer or two. I'd like to get me a 15pk of All Day IPA or something and drink it all day and not get smashed. Even though that would make Chryssie want to beat me over the head :sf:

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. MadamSarcastra

Yeah, I prefer a few to one or two, for sure. ;) It's funny, a while ago, my folks came back from dinner (it was a Saturday night, when I don't go to Jerry's), my mother saw the three empties in the six-pack holder & the one in my hand, gave a little scoff of derision & said "Do you drink that many all the time?" I said "Ha! More, when I can! Allow me to put this into perspective for you... those three empties equal the amount of alcohol in just one of your glasses of wine. You had how many at dinner? Usually two, sometimes more, right?" o_O

And that was the end of that conversation. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. MadamSarcastra

• Like Like x 3
  6. PTree15

PTree15 Beach bum

I had some friends visiting from Minnesota the weekend before last, and we hit a ton of breweries. I was the driver, so I got only a sip or two here and there, but a lot of what we tried was really good. Some of the highlights: Long Pine, Goodfire, Maine Brewing Co. Tree House, Bissell Brothers, Trillium (finally!) and Long Live in R.I. I know there were a few more, but they've all become a blur, haha. They had an ambitious list.

I actually tried some sours this time around, and I liked them!! One was a dark cherry (from Long Pine, I think), and it was delicious. I have figured out that if there is not a lot of salt and good amount of citrus, I can enjoy them. At Trillium they wanted to try the stouts, and I could do only one because two of them weren't vegan. The one I tried was delicious, though, as it was aged in bourbon barrels or something. Heavy-duty, though, and I would enjoy that more in the fall, I think. Tree House was its usual delicious self. I had Bright and Haze, and I loved both. I bought a four-pack of each. Goodfire also was tasty, and I bought a couple of cans there. I'll be sharing some with my family this weekend. :)

• Like Like x 6
  7. Amy SF

Amy SF Dweller in nature

So we got the activities calendar for October yesterday, and I noticed with dismay that I had a dentist appointment scheduled for the same time as the annual beer tasting event, to be followed by beer pong.

I rescheduled the dentist appointment. :p

Anyway, I have no idea what beer pong is. Can anyone clue me in?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. MadamSarcastra

Beer Pong Rules, Tips, and Tricks: How to Play Beer Pong :D

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. PTree15

PTree15 Beach bum

I saw Founders All Day IPA in the liquor store the other day and immediately thought of you, @MadamSarcastra :) I didn't buy any, though it's on my list to try.

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  10. beancounter

beancounter The Fire That Burns Within

IMO, you should. It's a really nice session beer.

11. beancounter

Tried two new ones today.

No pics, just links.

The Clown shoes double IPA is reminiscent of the "old school double IPA", both in color and hop presence. Not nearly as harsh (bittering hop overkill) as those around in the early 2000's though. A solid Double IPA, but nothing really memorable.

The Collective Arts Imperial IPA reminded me of a standard New England IPA (e.g. Two Roads Too Juicy), just with more alcohol.

I though they were both very good.

Radio The Mothership | Collective Arts Brewing

Galactica | Clown Shoes

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. silva

silva Addicted Poster

I got the weekly special of Aldi Tumwater Cold brewed coffee and fell in love :(. it's gone :(.
    After browsing the beer aisles I tried Great Lakes brewing (local) and found Edmond Fitzgerald. Similar, but Aldi was so much better! Someone must make that stuff for them?

13. beancounter

I guess I'm confused. Per a quick Google search, Tumwater is coffee, and Edmond Fitzgerald is beer.

14. Chryssie

Chryssie Internet Junkie

I would agree on the Founder's All Day IPA. A good solid choice though a bit boring IMHO. :D
    I have had some of Clown Shoes offerings (can't remember what at the moment) though not that particular one.
    I remember having the Great Lakes Edmond Fitzgerald some time ago and I don't remember it. I guess one should make a list or something! I have had so many different beers over the last year!
    I don't know anything about Aldi's beers.

• Like Like x 1
  15. beancounter

Beer Snob alert!!!
    :p;)

Yea, I agree it's pretty tame flavor wise (with a small "t"...). But IMO, it's one of the better ones. It seems like a lot of the session IPA's try to compensate for the lower alcohol by ramping up the IBU's, which just doesn't do it for me personally.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Chryssie

Chryssie Internet Junkie

I admit to being a beer snob! :D When I first started trying IPA's, I didn't like them at all but I have developed a liking for the more hazy, juicy ones. I think the NE style rather than the West Coast style. I admit I prefer the dark, strong, stouts and imperial stouts. I only drink one beer at a sitting so the higher ABV isn't an issue!

• Like Like x 4
  17. beancounter

Clown Shoes just so happens to makes a number of imperial stouts. :)

Sort by style.

Clown Shoes | Boston, MA | Beers

• Like Like x 1
  18. silva

silva Addicted Poster

I'm now confused! Tumwater is a beer (porter, stout...) I find only at Aldi, that varies it's types. They had one called "Cold Brewed Coffee Stout" for just one week. It was a dark beer with strong espresso and chocolate flavor! The Edmond Fitzgerald also had some coffee/chocolate flavor but not as much
    When I do a search I just get a place in Washington

19. Chryssie

Chryssie Internet Junkie

20. beancounter

I searched again, and it seems that I was viewing the top link which was "Claddagh cold brew coffee", not Tumwater.

Sorry about that. I blame the two DIPAs I was drinking at the time.:oops:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice