• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

Vegan Simple Cream of Leek Soup

mary

World Class Member
As always, more pictures and backstory are on my blog: http://www.marystestkitchen.com/simple-vegan-cream-of-leek-soup/

Ingredients
  • 2 cups chopped leeks, whites and light green parts only
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cups veggie broth, cold or room temperature
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons white flour
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste
Optional
  • lime juice
  • basil chiffonade to garnish
Directions
  1. Heat oil on medium heat in your soup pot.
  2. Add garlic, leeks and a generous pinch of salt.
  3. Cook, stirring occasionally until leeks are very tender. About 10 minutes.
  4. Transfer the cooked leeks to a blender, add the veggie broth and flour.
  5. Blend until smooth or desired consistency.
  6. Pour back into the pot and heat until bubbling, stirring constantly. About 10 minutes.
  7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Let cool before serving.
  9. Optionally, add a squeeze of lime juice to each bowl and garnish with basil chiffonade.
  10. Enjoy!
P.S. This makes two bowls :)

KLS52

Only Kindness Matters
This looks so good. I want to be president of your fan club. :D

I bet I could add some potato to this and have potato leak soup! With Daiya cheddar shreds! See… I always have to ruin everything by making it more caloric and bad for you, lol.

mary

World Class Member
This looks so good. I want to be president of your fan club. :D

I bet I could add some potato to this and have potato leak soup! With Daiya cheddar shreds! See… I always have to ruin everything by making it more caloric and bad for you, lol.
Hahaha yay! Funny, I went to a vegan/vegetarians pizza meet up last month and I got recognized as "Mary's Test Kitchen." Made my WEEK that someone "in real life" actually read my blog. I couldn't believe it! So when I hear that people actually made my RECIPE?!? WOW!!

You're probably right about the potato and Daiya shreds too. I had to leave out potatoes because my SO hates them :(

Tom

Addicted Poster
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but...

I see a lot of soup recipes that involve a blender, and this is one of the things I use a blender for- sometimes a soup just tastes and looks better as a smooth, thin puree. But I'm always reluctant to put hot soup in a blender. I keep thinking it will damage that rubber gasket at the bottom or something. Besides, my blender has a plastic container, not glass. Isn't it a better idea to let soup cool off a bit before blending, and then reheating it?

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but...

I see a lot of soup recipes that involve a blender, and this is one of the things I use a blender for- sometimes a soup just tastes and looks better as a smooth, thin puree. But I'm always reluctant to put hot soup in a blender. I keep thinking it will damage that rubber gasket at the bottom or something. Besides, my blender has a plastic container, not glass. Isn't it a better idea to let soup cool off a bit before blending, and then reheating it?
I would leave it to cool slightly before blending it if you have a plastic container. I like to use a hand blender for making soup as it's much handier.
Hahaha yay! Funny, I went to a vegan/vegetarians pizza meet up last month and I got recognized as "Mary's Test Kitchen." Made my WEEK that someone "in real life" actually read my blog. I couldn't believe it! So when I hear that people actually made my RECIPE?!? WOW!!

You're probably right about the potato and Daiya shreds too. I had to leave out potatoes because my SO hates them :(
You can also use cannellini beans instead of potatoes when making cream of cream of leek soup. There is also another recipe for this in the same recipe section.:)

KLS52

Only Kindness Matters
But I'm always reluctant to put hot soup in a blender. I keep thinking it will damage that rubber gasket at the bottom or something. Besides, my blender has a plastic container, not glass. Isn't it a better idea to let soup cool off a bit before blending, and then reheating it?
Learned this the hard way when my daughter decided to blend boiling hot jello. Can't remember the reason why Jell-O would need to go in a blender since it dissolves quickly in the hot water. It exploded all over the kitchen. Luckily, she did not get burned. Not sure how. I just remember still finding little spots of jello somewhere in the kitchen even years later, lol.

mary

World Class Member
@Tom When blending hot liquids, I use either my immesion blender (stick blender) or my Oster which has a glass container.

With a regular blender, I don't let the soup cool at all BUT I do leave the middle plastic part of the cover off for ventilation. If you don't have ventilation at the top, it will likely explode all over your counters! Start with the lowest setting and go from there. If you have a quality machine, the rubber gasket at the bottom should not be affected. However, with long-time use or poor quality gaskets they may be affected. I find it easy to find replacement gaskets though. They should be replaced yearly as they are porous and well...get icky after a while, no matter how well you clean them.

With an immersion blender, use extreme caution. I have sprayed myself many times using a sitck blender. But it is super fast. And if you're good at it you may not make the messes that I'm prone to! I'm super clumsy.