- They use your name and avatar to sell products. ("Look, your friend Joe Bob Dinkelwink is a fan of this product! Along with Jesus Kristensen, Random Arbitrary and 50371 others!")
- They bombard you with advertisements. ("Join Smoked Meats Forum today and get an awesome surprise!")
- They connect you with people you'd rather not be connected with. ("You have received a friend request from your uncle's estranged ex! And from Joe Bob Dinkelwink's sister-in-law who works for Burgers for Africa foundation! Wait ... it's not a real friend request, it's just that we recommended you become friends with her, but we'll make it look like a friend request anyway!")
- You're the product that they sell to third-parties.
- The software is slow, ugly and not up to the standards of more recent comparable software.