• You are now in the Debates forum. Even if they are wrong, please treat other members with respect. The VV Debate forum guidelines have additional advice on how to debate in a civil manner.
  • Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

US UK Pompeo promises to interfere in UK elections to prevent Corbyn PM

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
Mike Pompeo, the US Secretary of State, attended a meeting with "Jewish leaders":
Pompeo said: “It could be that Mr. Corbyn manages to run the gauntlet and get elected. It’s possible. You should know, we won’t wait for him to do those things to begin to push back. We will do our level best,” he said to fervent applause from attendees.

“It’s too risky and too important and too hard once it’s already happened,” he said.
More:
Pompeo's Vow to 'Push Back' Against Corbyn (11. June 2019)

Andy_T

Addicted Poster
Forum Moderator
So ... will the UK be next (after Germany) to ask for the expulsion of the US ambassador?
OK, likely not, the current UK government certainly does not see anything wrong with prohibiting Corbyn to get elected ...

Jamie in Chile

Renowned Member
It looks like this story is probably true, although I'll wait until tomorrow (assuming no denial or claims of fakery by then) to assume that it's definitively true.

It seems to me that the odds of Corbyn being the Prime Minister after the next general election have declined this year from perhaps a little over 50/50 if you'd asked me last year to maybe under 50/50 now.

He is losing support within his own party, making it not totally guaranteed that he'll even be the leader then. Plus the Liberal Democrats have been scooping up some support by being the party of remain.

While the establishment attempts to dig up all available dirt on Corbyn seem to have failed so far, he may yet become another casualty of Brexit. Let's see.

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
Russia interfering in US elections: bad.
US interfering in UK elections: good.
British media's response: tumbleweeds.

There's no way Corbyn will become PM - I don't think the US needs to help with that.

Last edited:

Jamie in Chile

Renowned Member
It looks like Pompeo gave a press conference today (about another topic) and I don't see any news update on this story. Perhaps no journalists asked him about it.