1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Online Friends

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Indian Summer, Mar 10, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

More: Your Internet Friends Are Real (March 3, 2015)

Is the divide between online and real-life friendships getting smaller? Are they really equal?

Has Facebook made online friendships more mainstream? And if so, how? Is part of the reason the use of real names instead of nicknames? Something else?

2. beancounter

beancounter The Fire That Burns Within

With regard to FB...95% of the people on most FB users friend list aren't really friends (IRL or online)

3. Naturebound

Naturebound World Class Member

I've met people in person I was friends with on Facebook for a long time first. In two cases I turned out not to like them at all lol. Just totally didn't click. Online they were great.

About half of my Facebook friends are coworkers, family, local vegan Meetup group members, old classmates from my graduating class too many years ago, and a few other long lost friends and coworkers. Last week an old friend I was pen pals with messaged me on Facebook and we talked for the first time in 24 years. It was really strange. The other half of my pitiful few friends on Facebook are from Facebook forums/groups.

4. Puffin Zero

Puffin Zero Star Member

I can say that my friends have become more online than real life as I've aged. Primarily I just don't have as much time for friends as I did in the past. Nowadays most of my closest friends I used to see every weekend are now primarily FB friends with occasional visits

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  5. MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra 1½ years vegan, 4 years meat-free!

No FB or other social media for this gal. I have one close "real life" friend and my dear friends here on VV.... that's it. And that's just fine with me.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  6. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

That is interesting.

I don't know whether you can really define friends on line as real friends. I would think that there is an important element missing if you don't actually meet the person in question.

7. shyvas

Just learned that an online pal from Vancouver Island has died.

We did actually do a meet up with other members and had quite a nice time. As she was telephone shy we didn't follow up. I'm not too keen on writing and prefer to chat.

I only learned of her passing when I googled up her name. I thought that it was strange that she was no longer on the forum.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 7
  8. Andy_T

Andy_T Addicted Poster Forum Moderator

Well, for what it's worth, I do think that y'all are real, and I would even go so far as to call some of you my (virtual) friends, although I have never met any of you in real life :D

As far as FB is concerned, I think I live in a virtual dream world populated by progressive, left-wing vegan friends, while in dreary day-to-day life I only see very few fellow vegans on a regular basis (but luckily there are few I see now and then at meetups, and can keep in touch with using social media)

I fondly remember getting in contact with fellow vegetarians around the world using GRANOLA Vegetarian Discussion list on BITNET/EARN (the predecessor of what we know now as "Internet") around 1992. Unfortunately they were all too far away from me to meet in person.
    So ... I sincerely doubt that this person meeting his virtual friends in 1997 was the first person in history to do such a thing.....

GRANOLA@VTVM2 (BITNET) [Last Update 12/92]
    or GRANOLA@VTVM2.CC.VT.EDU (Internet)

The GRANOLA list is a forum for discussion of vegetarian-relevant
    issues. Topics include but are not limited to the following: exchange
    of really cool recipes, discussion of the various types of
    vegetarianism, nutrition information, a supportive atmosphere, animal
    rights issues, cookbook reccomenda- tions, tips on surviving as a
    vegetarian while on a college meal plan, herbal remedies,
    ideas/support for those wanting to shift to a vegetarian diet, etc.
    This list does not discriminate on the basis of gender, sexual
    orientation. race, religion, nationality, eating preferences (the
    list is open to all: lacto-ovo-vegetarians, vegans, macrobiotics,
    people who are not vegetarian, etc). Respect for the ideals and
    practices of others is appreciated.

To subscribe to GRANOLA use LISTSERV interactives or send mail to
    LISTSERV%GITVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU with the text: SUB GRANOLA
    (your full name)

To send mail to the list, the address is
    GRANOLA%GITVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Note that a default setting of the list is such that you do not
    receive copies of the letters that you send to GRANOLA - if you wish
    to change the option for your account after you subscribe, then TELL
    LISTSERV AT GITVM1 SET GRANOLA REPRO (or send mail to
    LISTSERV@GITVM1.BITNET with the command SET GRANOLA REPRO ).

Feel free to send any questions or comments to the owner of GRANOLA:
    Darrell A. Early, BESTUUR@VTVM2

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

:hug:Sorry to read that.x

10. beancounter

My point was that most of the "friends" people have on FB are not really friends. I have 19. They are either family or people I've met IRL.

I've seen people with 956 friends. Do you actually believe those are all real friends...

11. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

Online people were very helpful to me when I first went vegan 11 years ago, they were a life support as I felt totally alone at that point. Most vegans were lovely when I actually met them face-to-face, not all obviously, but I would say about 80% of them were nice.

I get a lot of online support from people now too, but I probably won't ever meet up with them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KLS52

KLS52 Only Kindness Matters

Not in this case, no.

I have seen online people come together to help another online "friend", however...and help in a "real life" way. That's pretty darned awesome and friend-like. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. KLS52

I would really, sincerely, miss some of my "friends" here if they ever stopped posting. That's probably not "normal" but whatever, lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  14. shyvas

Same here. I would certainly miss quite a few of you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

I would really miss "talking" with the majority of the people on here too.:hugs:

I was thinking about some of the online people/friends I communicate with on finance matters. I will never meet up with them, but they have been so helpful to me. I don't have anyone to ask in real life on this subject, but I have a group of fairly wealthy men online that have given me so much amazing advice.

These men always make the assumption that I'm a man too (and I don't even bother to correct them anymore) so I will never meet up with them. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. blues

blues World Class Member

I must admit , I have no" friends" on Facebook cause I closed my account down , I couldn't see the sense of the whole make up of it for me . But for most, I can see the benefits of it , whether it be for business , hobbies , ethical , musical , family , the list is endless .

• Like Like x 2
  17. KLS52

Sorry for your loss, shyvas. :hug:

18. MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra 1½ years vegan, 4 years meat-free!

I second that. @shyvas :hug: So sorry to hear about your friend. :(

19. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

I would definitely be more likely to meet up with people if they were women. There was a money forum meet-up in London a few years ago and I said I would go, but then closer to the time I realised that the people meeting were all younger men in their twenties.:D I made an excuse in the end.

The men I talk to online now are all in their fifties and sixties and I can't imagine we would have a lot in common if I ever met them. What would we do, go golfing?!:p I would feel differently if they were women.

I think meeting with vegans was easier as we all have a core value in common.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  20. beancounter

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice