1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

New vegan cheese - Violife

Discussion in 'The Vegan Forum' started by Indian Summer, Oct 31, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Helen

Helen Not-So-Newbie

News to me - might give Tesco's Free From Cheddar a try then.

2. Jamie in Chile

Jamie in Chile Veteran Member

I found this in Chile a few weeks ago. At Jumbo supermarket. It really is the best vegan cheese I've had by far. The others (I've tried 3 or 4) were fairly mediocre in taste. Still quite expensive and I assume it is getting made in Greece only and shipped around the world.

Looking at your post from 2014, I think it was the exact same product with the exact same packet design.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PTree15

PTree15 Beach bum

I just got an email from VeganEssentials.com that Violife cheeses are now available for order. I've inquired about their cold-pack deliveries. If the box can withstand 8 hours on the front steps, I'll be ordering some to try.

4. Helen

Helen Not-So-Newbie

So found some of the Violife Cheddar in my local Tesco and have to say it is the best I have tasted so far, was (from what I remember) just like a mild cheddar! Needless to say it's all gone and I will be buying more. It can be melted on toast but I found it stuck to the roof of my mouth a little, so wouldn't recommend!

5. raggle

raggle Deity

Has anyone tried their halloumi yet?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andy_T

Andy_T Addicted Poster Forum Moderator

Nope, not available in Germany yet, but I am intrigued!
    Will definitely ask my local vegan shop to inquire about it....

7. AllenH

AllenH Not-So-Newbie

Is it better than daya cheese?

8. Andy_T

I'd say about the same ....
    But I have not had Daiya in a very long time, as it is only available in the US...

9. Helen

Helen Not-So-Newbie

Sorry I've never heard of Daiya cheese so unable to commment

10. silva

silva Addicted Poster

Daiya has shreds, slices, and blocks. the shreds aren't good except for typical American grilled cheese, but the blocks are freakin' delicious. Monteray Jack, cheddar and Jalepano havarti. I love them all as much as I remember loving dairy cheese- which was my favorite food just under olives.
    Just made a pizza with the Monteray Jack so I'm really happy about Daiya...:D

11. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

Yes. :yes:

12. Andy_T

The logical thing then would be not to comment at all, but then, if you were a spambot trying to rack up a number of comments, it would of course make sense :D.

13. shyvas

I will have to try it when I come back to the UK. I really miss halloumi. I like to pan fry it and serve it with a drizzle of pomegranate molasses.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

What?!:) Ooh, I will have to keep a look out.

ETA - they have it at Ocado. I'm going to put some in my Saturday delivery!

• Like Like x 1
  15. shyvas

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

No, I haven't tried quite a few of them as I keep buying the one that goes on pizza or the slices.

17. shyvas

Same here. I find that their pizza cheese is the best one on the market. I'm not keen on their cream cheese as it
    tastes like dessert.

18. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

Yes, I think that about all the vegan cream cheeses too. The only one I like is the garlic and herb one as it must drown out the sweet taste. :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. shyvas

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  20. shyvas

I bought a pack back from the UK. Whilst it doesn't taste like the real thing, it's not too bad and has a distinct taste.
    It melts well when pan fried and I would buy it again.

• Informative Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice