1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

May Health Challenge

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by shyvas, May 1, 2019.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

2. Chryssie

Chryssie Internet Junkie

I'm in! Same goals. Trying to cut back on sugar and processed foods. Keep up my walking.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

I want to exercise on my trampoline and with my dumbbells at least 5 days a week.

I haven't lost more weight with WW so I'm not doing it anymore, I'm not sure if it is do with my thyroid, or what.

I'm doing a different meal plan that is supposed to kick start your metabolism. You carb load some days of the week and protein load other days.

I actually find it easier than WW and I know I am getting the right nutrition. With WW it's easy to eat junk food and then load up on veggies which probably isn't the healthiest way of eating.:D

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  4. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

I just thought that the protein loading starts tomorrow but my shopping doesn't arrive until 12 and I am supposed to protein load in the morning.o_O

I have to have plant protein with healthy fat added. I was planning on making tofu scramble with black beans, avocado and salsa most mornings as I really like that, but I don't have any tofu or black beans in the house.

I suppose I could have roasted chickpeas and then houmous as the healthy fat with carrot sticks.:confused: It doesn't seem like the type of thing to have for breakfast, though.

A chickpea scramble with avocado, maybe...

5. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

That sounds good due to the protein and fat content. I also like high protein savoury food for breakfast.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. PTree15

PTree15 Beach bum

Me, too, especially on the sugar. April was so-so for me. But I am ever optimistic. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Poppy

Poppy Ankle Biter

These last few pounds are so darn stubborn! I'm going for a "dry" May - no alcohol for the month - in hopes to kick-start this last push. And daily yoga and walking.

I did not do my yoga this morning. I'm a morning yoga person and the roofers get here pretty early and I don't want them to see me. But I realize that I'm just going to have to shut my blinds and do what I need to do. So there. :mad:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
  8. KLS52

KLS52 Only Kindness Matters

I’m in, too. Did my walk this morning. :)
    Not concentrating on weight, just want to keep moving. I’m about 6 pounds more than I’d like but not overweight so maintaining is ok for me, for now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. KLS52

It’s 10:15 a.m. and I have have 8500 steps already.
    :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. KLS52

No wonder I need a nap...

11. Poppy

Poppy Ankle Biter

I'm at 9640. Obviously I took my walk, which gets me somewhere between 7500 and 8500 depending on which route I take. Now lets see if I get any more today, as the heat is coming. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amy SF

Amy SF Dweller in nature

When my sister gave me a Fitbit two Decembers ago as a Hanukkah gift to encourage me to move more, she told me that the ideal step goal was 10,000 steps a day. I said there’s no way I can do that on a regular basis, and I set my daily step goal at 5,000. Well, I’ve gradually been increasing the number, and now I’m up to 8,000! I’m not yet at the I-can-easily-reach-10,000-steps point, and in fact, 8,000 is still a bit of a challenge on some days, especially when I’m not feeling well. But I’ll get there. I never thought I’d get this far, but I did!

• Like Like x 3
  13. KLS52

Yes, If I didn’t do my walk at 6:15 this morning I would not have made it. I had extra steps because I had a pick up from the veterans, so I also did a whole lot of running up and down the attic/basement stairs before work.

14. silva

silva Addicted Poster

I may have found a real inspiration in eating better. I got a "Perfectly Imperfect" box of randomly selected produce! $18 +$5 shipping for $15 pounds
    2 huge sweet potatoes
    2 nice tomatoes, a large cucumber, an onion, a big bag of mini sweet peppers, a green pepper, a bag of celery, a bag of 3 bunches of Romaine lettuce
    When I'm at the store I never know what to buy, I look at sales, hem and haw, come home and wish I had bought something! This way I'm kinda forced to eat it because I know it won't go to waste. I'm thinking if I subscribe every two weeks I can add in other things like greens if I need them
    Funny thing though--it was all good looking produce!

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Chryssie

Chryssie Internet Junkie

What I have found works for grocery shopping is to find a recipe or two and buy the ingredients for those. Of course if you need any staples, you get those as well. I do try to stock up every now and then when I can afford it.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

I have worked out 3 times this week so far. I am really enjoying this new way of eating. You have to add protein to every meal and doesn't feel like I am "dieting" as I don't feel hungry or deprived. I will have to see if it shows up on the scale next week.

I know I have lost two inches this week as I measured myself this morning. I think that is down to the exercise, though.

• Like Like x 3
  17. silva

silva Addicted Poster

That's what I should do, but struggle. My mother never cooked and it was like rummaging through the fridge to see what I could come up with. I have gotten better with prepping on weekends
    The copymethat app helps me a lot,

18. Chryssie

Chryssie Internet Junkie

My mother was a good cook and I learned to cook at an early age. However, I really got out of the habit of cooking meals when Jeremy took over that job in 2008 when we went vegan. Now I don't really like cooking anymore! I have hundreds of recipes so I am trying to learn to cook again! I have been making soups and have 3 containers of different soups in the freezer because the recipes make so much! It is really hard cooking for one person!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
  19. KLS52

I grew up in a crazy Italian family but they were amazing cooks/bakers. I did inherit a good portion of their talent. I’ve just lost ambition over the last few years.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PTree15

PTree15 Beach bum

My mom is an excellent cook and baker. I'm lucky that I inherited some of her cooking genes. I love cooking/baking. @Chryssie I totally understand trying to cook for one, especially with soups. I try to find recipes that don't use massive amounts of water and broth. It's more manageable that way. I really could use a separate freezer in my basement. I love being able to eat out of the freezer.

• Like Like x 1