1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Marie Kondo

Discussion in 'Home & Garden' started by Mikkel, Jan 29, 2019.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mikkel

Mikkel Addicted Poster

It is. And for some people, it helps them a lot that people give away stuff for free or to thrift stores.

But I don't agree with giving up my plan to read books. I have got them to read them. Some books are probably just ment to be read half way, because they end up too boring. Life is too short for boring books anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Mischief

Mischief Stranger in a strange land

Yup. I don't read books that I have to force myself to read. As you said, life's too short.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mikkel

Mikkel Addicted Poster

From reading a meme to empty two storage room in one evening. Some people party at Fridays, I obvious got hooked on tidying. :p

But this is fun. I have so much stuff. I found several handmixers that miss the part I use the most (but work well). Parts from a broken kitchen machine I don't have anymore etc etc. I have a lot of baking stuff, but I don't bake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Andy_T

Andy_T Addicted Poster Forum Moderator

Have you tried using an e-reader?
    They can be a sight for sore eyes, I would say ...

5. Amy SF

Amy SF Dweller in nature

I’m buying mostly digital books now not only because I just don’t have the space any more for physical books, but because I have vision problems, and digital books are easier for me to read. Unfortunately, not all books are available in digital format, so I’m still buying some physical books I want. But I still have a fraction of the collection of books I had in my old apartment. Most of those were gotten rid of, and I’ve replaced some of them with the digital versions.

6. Mischief

Mischief Stranger in a strange land

I rely mostly on audiobooks now, because they let me multi-task - knit, do chores, run errands, post on VV, all while listening.

Books that aren't available on audio I read on the Kindle paperwhite.

The books I'm keeping are the ones that aren't readily available in digital format.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andy_T

Andy_T Addicted Poster Forum Moderator

Yes, I have the same one, helps me to reduce my dependence on dead tree books :)
    Also a godsend when trying to read on badly lit public transport at this time of the year...

8. Katrina

Katrina Deity

She seems funny, but I couldn't get into her show when I tried to watch it.

Most of the books I read come from the library. I rarely read a book more than once, so I don't see the point of buying them. The exceptions are reference books (gardening books, cookbooks, etc) or used books by my favourite authors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. silva

silva Addicted Poster

I'm very glad to see people give items to thrift shops, but the trend of people with means buying thrift has gone so far their prices have skyrocketed! That and the trend of selling on facebook and local online buy and sell groups and yard sales.
    Like "I can afford a really expensive thing, then sell it and get most of my money back." Which is fine if it's still like new, but so often ready to break- like cell phones, cars that need hidden work...

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. silva

silva Addicted Poster

I don't picture you so much as a miminalist as just a neat organized person who is thoughtful and deliberate in planning!
    I'm more of an unorganized slob who has to work at being mindful. I was "shabby chic" decades before someone coined that term :rolleyes::hd::weird:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mikkel

Mikkel Addicted Poster

We have them both. The expencive ones, and they with okey prices. And a lot of what is sold on Facebook is nice prices on.

But the biggest thrift stores has both been expencive and exlucive. So I try to pick shops with good causes that doesn't want to rob people...

But you see a lot of people just want to get rith of litteraly trash. And don't want to take a trip to the dumpster site. I just saw someone try to give away a really ugly table they had made. But the other day someone was switching kitchen interior and you could get their really awsome old one for free.

12. Katrina

Katrina Deity

I have noticed that also. I've watched youtube videos of people who are able to buy used stuff for dirt cheap and resell it for a much higher value, but that's not possible where I live! The thrift stores here still price things high enough that you won't get much more for it somewhere else.

13. Katrina

Katrina Deity

My favourite clothing place to shop now is a consignment store that just opened up down the street. The stuff is priced a bit higher than thrift store clothes, but that's because part of the profit goes to the consigner (consignee?). And everything is in good condition. The store doesn't accept crappy stuff that's falling apart or otherwise belongs in a landfill.

14. silva

silva Addicted Poster

I won't even donate good used things to shops, I take it to a church that takes things to womans shelters, and homeless shelters.
    I mean if you can afford better things I don't think it's right to make money off them when you're through. It's like you're paying the same for brand new that others pay for used items that are often not even that good!
    Used cars I understand, but even then only to a point.
    People really bristle when I say this :rolleyes:

15. silva

silva Addicted Poster

I need to look into this as I desperately need some change,
    and my house is a disaster now!