• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

Music Jazz, Blues, Soul, & Funk

Joe

Celebrity Member
Bobby Rush, I Can't Find My Keys.

The Nashville Scene calls this song "a classic bit of funk neurosis."

MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra, over & out.
Just heard this on the "Blues Night" edition of Nightside on local public radio. Featuring Wynton Marsalis, Eric Clapton, & Taj Mahal... live... and they've got some seriously sweet Dixieland sh*t happenin'.... :cool:

Last edited:

MadamSarcastra

Hate "traditional" Christmas tunes, been waitin' for someone to play this, & The World Café just closed with it... used to sing a version of it myself. :cool:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the Nightside host (local) surprised me just now... I swear, I thought it was a Djanjo/Benny team-up or something! Now this take on a tired holiday tune I can dig....

This is some jumpin' sweetness!

Last edited:

MadamSarcastra

For MLK Day, Max Roach (one of the greatest jazz drummers of all time) & a "duet" of sorts....

RIP, Max... and RIP Martin Luther King, Jr.... always. :rose:

Last edited:

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
I’ve had to downsize my considerable entertainment media collection to fit in a small studio apartment, and it’s making me very unhappy. One of the vinyl albums I decided to part with is “Street Life”, the very popular 1970’s jazz album from The Crusaders. But that’s okay, because I can buy the digital version on iTunes or at another site. Last night, I opened up the Amazon Prime Music app and listened to the wonderful title track with Randy Crawford’s delicious vocals. Be warned: This is the extended album length version, which clocks in at a little over 11 minutes. But it’s worth it. Pour yourself a glass of wine, sit back and enjoy.

MadamSarcastra

Duke Ellington's 'Such Sweet Thunder' - Shakespeare and jazz

Ellington’s Such Sweet Thunder consists of eleven numbers, each of which is linked to Shakespearean characters:

“Such Sweet Thunder” [Othello]
“Sonnet for Caesar” [Julius Caesar]
“Sonnet to Hank Cinq” [Henry V]
“Lady Mac” [Lady Macbeth]
“Sonnet in Search of a Moor” [Othello]
“The Telecasters” [The Three Witches and Iago]
“Up and Down, Up and Down, I Will Lead Them (Up and Down)” [Puck]
“Sonnet for Sister Kate” [Katherine]
“The Star-Crossed Lovers” [Romeo and Juliet]
“Madness in Great Ones” [Hamlet]
“Half the Fun” [Cleopatra]

A final number, “Circle of Fourths,” added later, offers a musical tribute to Shakespeare himself

MadamSarcastra

This could've gone in another thread 'cuz it's stuck in my head.... I finally found out what that clavi-synthy-dirty-funky tune was featured in Ant Man... it's by the freakin' Commodores! :cool: