• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

Frugal Ideas and Household Hints

M

Moll Flanders

I don't if this is a frugal idea exactly but I will put it here anyway. I went climbing last week and my trainers (sneakers) really smelled gross afterwards. I think I was so afraid of being up so high that my feet were sweating more in fear or something.:p I poured some (clean;)) cat litter into them and left them overnight and it really worked. :)

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
I don't if this is a frugal idea exactly but I will put it here anyway. I went climbing last week and my trainers (sneakers) really smelled gross afterwards. I think I was so afraid of being up so high that my feet were sweating more in fear or something.:p I poured some (clean;)) cat litter into them and left them overnight and it really worked. :)
It never occurred to me that you can use cat litter. I assume it's the scented kind?

I always thought the best thing to use for deodorizing shoes was baking soda, which works like a charm for general deodorizing. When I started working at a hospital three years ago, I was given a rolling metal cabinet to keep my purse and other stuff in. The bottom drawer had a bad smell, so I brought in some baking soda, tossed some in, and left it for a while, and that took care of the bad smell. :)

M

Moll Flanders

^ I actually read about it online so it wasn't my bright idea about the cat litter.:D I think baking soda is supposed to work too.:yes:

Spidergrrl

Veteran Member
I was thinking our wooden furniture looked dry so i mixed up 2TB olive oil and 2TB lemon juice and rubbed it into the wood with a cloth to moisturise it and then buffed away any excess oil with a an bit of a flannel shirt. I can't believe the difference! the furniture looks luminescent! Brand new!

M

Moll Flanders

^ I tried that with just olive oil before on my wooden table and it didn't work so I will try your way with added lemon juice.:up:

I had half a bottle of beer left in my fridge and I was starting to pour it down the sink and I realised I could use it as a hair rinse instead of wasting it down the drain.:)

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
^ I tried that with just olive oil before on my wooden table and it didn't work so I will try your way with added lemon juice.:up:

I had half a bottle of beer left in my fridge and I was starting to pour it down the sink and I realised I could use it as a hair rinse instead of wasting it down the drain.:)
You can also use it for making a sauce when slow cooking.

M

Moll Flanders

But wouldn't y9ur hair reek of beer? :yuck:
You wash your hair with shampoo and then rinse, pour beer on for a few minutes and then rinse, and then put on your normal conditioner and rinse again.:)

CrazyCatLady

World Class Member
I was thinking our wooden furniture looked dry so i mixed up 2TB olive oil and 2TB lemon juice and rubbed it into the wood with a cloth to moisturise it and then buffed away any excess oil with a an bit of a flannel shirt. I can't believe the difference! the furniture looks luminescent! Brand new!

Did this on my breakfast bar this morn, looks much better now :)

Before...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363529239.361012.jpg

After...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363529261.263500.jpg

Xxx

silva

Addicted Poster
Hahahahaha! I hope you hid them from the cats! I once had a cat pee right in a bag of litter that fell on it's side!
Good idea!
I've heard the litter that has the "beads" works great in containers to get rid of smells, esp. damp smells.

thefadedone

Needs a life
I never realized beer was good for your hair. Interesting.
I'd rather just drink the beer. :p

Or use it to make beer battered onion rings or something. :lick:
Or bread! I've been wanting to make beer bread since it looks so ridiculously easy to make, but since I don't drink I never have any beer to cook with.