• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

Music Fight songs

Cerebellion

Smokin' Crow
I'm curious as to what your favorite fight or empowerment songs are. You know, the song(s) you listen to when you're depressed or in general need of a pick me up.
I'll start with:

Spang

Foot Fetisher
I wouldn't call it a fight song, but "Three Little Birds" lifts my spirits like David Hasselhoff lifts spirits.

Cerebellion

Smokin' Crow
Perhaps I misnamed this thread, but that's kinda what I was going for. Songs that pick you up when you're down or boost your spirits when you need it

PTree15

Beach bum
No Excuses by Alice In Chains. It makes me think about good friends who take you as you are. It always makes me smile. I also love the opening drum bit a ton.

Others include Sad But True by Metallica, mostly for the head banging factor. Head banging always lifts me up. Alice In Chains' It Ain't Like That also qualifies.

Anything by Tool. Sarcastic, angry Maynard is lots of fun.

Hatesong, Russia on Ice, Halo, Always Never, Sever .... So many Porcupine Tree songs fit the bill.

Cerebellion

Smokin' Crow
I'm with you on the Alice in Chains stuff. Add a little Pantera or Meshuggah, and I've got the recipe for a boost. Of course, that's after the prequisite chest-beating gets over with :rofl:

PTree15

Beach bum
I'm with you on the Alice in Chains stuff. Add a little Pantera or Meshuggah, and I've got the recipe for a boost. Of course, that's after the prequisite chest-beating gets over with :rofl:
Hahahaha! And hell yes on Pantera or Meshuggah and a little Opeth or Machine Head! Do you like Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff? I thought Degradation Trip Vols. 1 and 2 was brilliant.

Cerebellion

Smokin' Crow
Hahahaha! And hell yes on Pantera or Meshuggah and a little Opeth or Machine Head! Do you like Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff? I thought Degradation Trip Vols. 1 and 2 was brilliant.
Jerry's the man. Next to Devin Townsend, Alice in Chains are probably my favorite band ever

PTree15

Beach bum
Ooooh, I love all the AIC talk. They are right at the top for me as well.
Dedalus, Boggy Depot is awesome! You really should get DT if you can. I always call it the best album nobody's heard because it didn't do well.
I think part of the problem was the distribution deal. Jerry wanted a double album, but he ended up releasing what I call the Reader's Digest version, about 14 or 15 songs, and then six months later the double album finally came out. I think people figured they didn't need the double if they'd already bought the single. I bought both :D. I just love Jerry Cantrell and AIC!

Cerebellion

Smokin' Crow
"Anger Rising" off BT hit a little too close to home for me at the time. I really identified with the album as a whole, though. Being a slightly depressed metalhead that was stuck in the middle of Alabama will make one want all the AIC and/or Cantrell they can get

Dave in MPLS

Not an actual rooster
Two songs that I find empowering:

The lyric "all I need is a pair of wheels" is quite appropriate, being as I use a wheelchair -

Like 80-90% of what I listen to daily has female vocals. Angelic harmonies and so on. This too -

PTree15

Beach bum
"Anger Rising" off BT hit a little too close to home for me at the time. I really identified with the album as a whole, though. Being a slightly depressed metalhead that was stuck in the middle of Alabama will make one want all the AIC and/or Cantrell they can get
I hear that! I remember letting a work colleague borrow DT and when he returned it to me, he was like, are you OK? He couldn't understand how someone with such a sunny disposition could listen to what he called very depressing music, lol. I was like, well, that's what keeps my sunny disposition. :D.

Cerebellion

Smokin' Crow
I hear that! I remember letting a work colleague borrow DT and when he returned it to me, he was like, are you OK? He couldn't understand how someone with such a sunny disposition could listen to what he called very depressing music, lol. I was like, well, that's what keeps my sunny disposition. :D.
Funnily enough, no one ever wonders that about me. I do get a lot of the 'worship the devil' comments, though. I'm like 'are you even listening to this? The devil is stupid, DT is not'.

PTree15

Beach bum
Lol, sometimes I wonder whether people who make those comments have ever really listened to the lyrics for some of the so-called devil-worship music. I'll bet most of them haven't. They just go by what they've heard about said music.