1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Question Does this desert have a name?

Discussion in 'Ask Us a Question!' started by Brian, Jun 15, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Brian

Brian Mad Bard

I created my first vegan desert by putting crushed vegan digestives into the bottom of a desert glass, putting a layer of raspberries and raspberry conserve onto it then topping with creamy soyghurt and decorating with whole raspberries. It was just off the top of my head but I would imagine it has been done before and wondered if it has a name.

2. Andy_T

Andy_T Addicted Poster Forum Moderator

You might call it "Vegan Panna Cotta", close enough ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

Trifle.

4. Brian

Brian Mad Bard

Not sure about trifle. From an Englishman's perspective, a trifle has a base of sponge soaked in jelly, then on top of that, set custard, then fruit, then cream and is decorated with hundreds and thousands or sugar strands. I would be happy with some variation but I'm not sure mine constitutes a trifle. Maybe it depends on where you are in the world though?

5. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

A traditional trifle is made with soaked sponge or finger biscuits. Jelly is not required in the making. What you are describing isn't really a recipe just
    a layer of biscuits, yogurt and fruit. I think that you can name it whatever you like.

JO always calls many of his recipes '' A kinda of …….'' as he often tweaks most of the traditional ones.

I often make a similar one using crumble, yogurt/cream and puréed fruit.

6. Peter

Peter Famous Member

I made something similar about a week ago but I soaked the base in Amaretto (hope it's vegan). I love all those desserts that combine cake/biscuits/fruit and creamy stuff like vanilla or plain soy yoghurt. I keep meaning to try cashew cream but haven't got round to it yet. At the same time I like to avoid sugar if at all possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra 1½ years vegan, 4 years meat-free!

I'd say that dessert would be a trifle or a parfait....

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Skylark

Skylark VHS Upcycler

Did you like it? If it wasn’t all that, then no need to name it unless you have to label The Thing to Never Make Again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Brian

Brian Mad Bard

I loved it and so did my wife. I'm thinking of naming it "Brian's Vegan Saturdae" :D Not sure yet.

• Like Like x 3
  10. KLS52

KLS52 Only Kindness Matters

I like parfait.

• Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice