• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

Question Does this desert have a name?

Brian

Mad Bard
I created my first vegan desert by putting crushed vegan digestives into the bottom of a desert glass, putting a layer of raspberries and raspberry conserve onto it then topping with creamy soyghurt and decorating with whole raspberries. It was just off the top of my head but I would imagine it has been done before and wondered if it has a name.

Brian

Mad Bard
Not sure about trifle. From an Englishman's perspective, a trifle has a base of sponge soaked in jelly, then on top of that, set custard, then fruit, then cream and is decorated with hundreds and thousands or sugar strands. I would be happy with some variation but I'm not sure mine constitutes a trifle. Maybe it depends on where you are in the world though?

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
Not sure about trifle. From an Englishman's perspective, a trifle has a base of sponge soaked in jelly, then on top of that, set custard, then fruit, then cream and is decorated with hundreds and thousands or sugar strands. I would be happy with some variation but I'm not sure mine constitutes a trifle. Maybe it depends on where you are in the world though?
A traditional trifle is made with soaked sponge or finger biscuits. Jelly is not required in the making. What you are describing isn't really a recipe just
a layer of biscuits, yogurt and fruit. I think that you can name it whatever you like.

JO always calls many of his recipes '' A kinda of …….'' as he often tweaks most of the traditional ones.

I often make a similar one using crumble, yogurt/cream and puréed fruit.

Peter

Famous Member
I created my first vegan desert by putting crushed vegan digestives into the bottom of a desert glass, putting a layer of raspberries and raspberry conserve onto it then topping with creamy soyghurt and decorating with whole raspberries. It was just off the top of my head but I would imagine it has been done before and wondered if it has a name.
I made something similar about a week ago but I soaked the base in Amaretto (hope it's vegan). I love all those desserts that combine cake/biscuits/fruit and creamy stuff like vanilla or plain soy yoghurt. I keep meaning to try cashew cream but haven't got round to it yet. At the same time I like to avoid sugar if at all possible.

Skylark

VHS Upcycler
Did you like it? If it wasn’t all that, then no need to name it unless you have to label The Thing to Never Make Again.