• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

TV & Film Do you feel that you have missed your calling?

Not looking to make myself look like crap however.... Steven Spielberg made his mark in his twenties... and I admire him so... do you ever feel like you could have done that also but missed your mark?
Yup. Orson Welles made Citizen Kane when he was 21, and I hate him for it. I'm also resentful of James from The Great British Bake-Off. 21 years old, a medical student, and could bake circles around me. Bah!

Blobbenstein

I could of been a conte......oh I've done that bit.............yeah, my life took so many wrong turns it looks like it's been driven by Mr Magoo.....I think I know what went wrong, and I don't think I could have done anything about it.

Chryssie

Internet Junkie
When I was a child, I wrote stories all the time and wanted to be an author. Now that I am near retirement age, (not that I will EVER retire) I did not accomplish that goal. However, I have also always loved children. so I got a degree in Early Childhood Education and worked for many years in the childcare field which I really enjoyed. I do feel that teaching young children was "my calling" and I am glad I was able to do that. At this point though, I am working in retail which is not really all that "calling" worthy. :D

Dedalus

Mercurial and fleeting
Joseph Campbell said something like: 'Follow your bliss and doors will open for you that you never even knew existed.'

I think on many occasions in my life I have felt that I turned my back on bliss and instead chose to endure. Other times I followed what I thought was my bliss and all hell rained down on those whom lives I shared, ultimately mine as well.

My inner voice is an unreliable narrator.

PTree15

Beach bum
When I was a child, I wrote stories all the time and wanted to be an author. Now that I am near retirement age, (not that I will EVER retire) I did not accomplish that goal. However, I have also always loved children. so I got a degree in Early Childhood Education and worked for many years in the childcare field which I really enjoyed. I do feel that teaching young children was "my calling" and I am glad I was able to do that. At this point though, I am working in retail which is not really all that "calling" worthy. :D
It's never too late. E. Annie Proulx was is in her late 50s when her Pulitzer Prize-winning book, The Shipping News, was published. Then there was that woman who wrote And Ladies of the Club (I think that's the title), which was published when she was 90! Anything is possible :D

As far as the original query, I pretty much set out to do/achieve what I wanted career-wise (am still in the field I love), but I think I can do a lot more as a person :D. I have felt a real urge to make a difference in the world, even if it's only a small corner of it. I've been doing more volunteering through work, and I like that what I'm doing is helping someone.

You would be perfect to write children's stories, then! :D