1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Dish cleaning tools - which is for what?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Indian Summer, Dec 23, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Indian Summer

Indian Summer One of a kind Administrator

Pictured: Brush, steel scrubber, scourer pad.
    dish_cleaners.jpg

But which items should each of these cleaning tools be used on?

This is the debate of the century! It's the U.S. versus Europe. It's big city versus small town. It's man versus woman!

And now you must choose a side!

Please also make a post to explain your position as a simple vote is not sufficient to end this debate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mischief

Mischief Stranger in a strange land

I don't use any of them. They are tough on pots and pans, even stainless steel ones.

3. Val

Val Extraterrestrial

We used to have such tools in the USSR. Most people use them nowadays. The metallic sponge on the left is often used to remove burnt grease from the cast-iron frying-pans' surface and from oven's trays and walls (believe me, people are doing it nowadays). The softer green-ish sponge on the right is for washing something like delftware. The brush on the top was used for different purposes. We had the similar one for penetrating inside big 3-liter and 5-liter glass jars. Also we used it for cast-iron soup-pots.:)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  4. silva

silva Addicted Poster

I use used foil on steel pans that have baked on stuff. Leaving baking soda and water followed by a foil scrub will get off baked on grease. I've gotten really good pans from thrift stores like that, and my own I've had from my grandmother.
    I have a nylon bristle brush by the sink but it's for veggies.
    I have to confess here--I just bought a bag of nylon scrubbers for $1. There are a dozen balls of plastic string. I was washing dishes and it suddenly occurred to me 'damn what a horrid thing!" :(. I guess they'll last a long time for dish washing, but they'll also last forever somewhere :mad:
    I used to use those green scrubbers all the time and quit for the same reason I shouldn't have bought the nylon scrubbers!:rolleyes:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. Poppy

Poppy Ankle Biter

The scrubber brush is for loosening melted cheese and egg yolk - so why do you have it???

The steel scrubber is for loosening meat remnants - so why do you have it???

The scour pad is the only tool suitable for veg*ns, so you should use it for everything.

Was that a help?

:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Mischief

Mischief Stranger in a strange land

I knit our dishcloths from cotton yarn, using stitches with lots of texture. I make them small, about 3 inches square. They are used no longer than one day, then set aside for washing.

If something is stuck on the inside of a pan and it won't wash away easily, I use a little Barkeep's Friend. I don't use anything abrasive on the inside of pots and pans because even scratches that are too fine to be seen with the naked eye will cause food to be more likely to stick in the future. (There's no nonstick cookware in the house because birds - we use stainless steel and cast iron, which, if treated properly, are easy to cook with and to clean.)

When the outside bottoms of pans need it, I ball up a little aluminum foil and scrub the outside bottoms with that.

• Like Like x 3
  7. silva

silva Addicted Poster

Instant Pot pretty much cleans itself. Why you guys don't have one :rolleyes::D
    Someone is sure to get one for Christmas ;)

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice