1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Deutschland (Germany)

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by Indian Summer, Mar 29, 2013.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

This is a thread to discuss all things related to Germany.

2. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

The vegan supermarket Veganz opens its third branch in Berlin tomorrow, and a fourth branch is soon to follow. More branches are planned for the rest of the country as well, e.g. in Leipzig:
    Veganer Supermarkt "Veganz" eröffnet (essen & trinken (German), 20.03.2013)

• Like Like x 2
  3. mlp

mlp Guest

That's cool. and also interesting, in light of the fact that so much of traditional German cooking contains meat - a lot of traditional ways of preparing vegetables, from Sauerkraut to potato salad, involves Speck (pork fat - sort of like bacon, but not quite).

As the article points out - no need to read ingredient lists when shopping there. That would be so cool.

4. Amy SF

Amy SF Dweller in nature

A couple years ago I read an article in Smithsonian magazine about an endangered profession in Germany: butchers. The article profiled several butchers laboring to keep the profession alive, and worrying that it would die out. One of the weirdest things about the article is that one of the butchers profiled is actually a vegetarian! Go figure that one out. :???:

5. mlp

mlp Guest

I found the article!

This surprised me:

6. mlp

mlp Guest

And this is how the article ends:

7. Mufflon

Mufflon Well Known Member

Veganz has opened in Frankfurt am Main as well as it seems. :)

8. Amy SF

Amy SF Dweller in nature

9. Andy_T

Andy_T Addicted Poster Forum Moderator

There has also been lots of discussion among vegan and vegetarian circles about a traditional Butcher, Mr. Spahn, who has turned vegan and offers a lot of vegan artisan fake meat products:

Vegan Butcher Bio-Spahn Vegan in Frankfurt am Main | Tell it's Green

The reason why this shop is controversial is that he actually runs both an organic (meat) butcher shop and a (smaller new) vegan butcher shop, as he stated a number of times that he feels responsible for his employees and can not guarantee their workplaces by completely changing to vegan products. So many are not sure whether it is a good idea to support a butcher shop, or whether it is great that omnivores now will buy more vegan products.

10. I would for sure support it! The more vegan stuff they sell, the fewer animal products they will need to peddle to make enough money.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AeryFairy

AeryFairy Anachronism Administrator

I've been in Dusseldorf for a couple of days, and I've had a lot of options for food :) There was a restaurant where I had currywurst and chips, and a chocolate and cherry brownie. There are also two veggie takeaways that deliver to my friend's flat, so I've had Chinese food (noodles, fried rice, "chicken" stir fry, "prawn" crackers, and spring rolls), and also a "ham" and mushroom pizza with vegan cheese and tofu nuggets.

And in Köln, there was a stand on the main Cathedral market selling Vegan Gourmet Food, so I had a burger with fried onions and apple sauce, and some vegan lebkuchen.

Also, a lot of the beer is vegan due to the Reinheitsgebot

• Like Like x 5
  12. Sounds fun, AF! :)

13. Amy SF

Amy SF Dweller in nature

It blows my mind how such a hardcore meat-eating country like Germany can become so vegan-friendly. :) Perhaps there's hope for the US. This country is still very vegan UNFRIENDLY in so many places.

14. Andy_T

Actually all the beer brewed and sold in Germany should be vegan, but I guess the mix drinks do not need to follow this rule.

Good to hear you liked it! Cologne and Duesseldorf are two of my favourite cities in Germany. Granted, they always squabble about everything (for the record: Cologne is always right, of course :D), as they have had some kind of sibling rivalry since 1288.

What the two have in common, however, is that they both do brew their own special beers, Koelsch in Cologne and Alt in Duesseldorf, which are both not as good as the beers from Southern Germany...

15. Andy_T

@Amy SF , please do not confuse the possibility to have a big number of choices in vegan restaurants (which exists in many places in Germany nowadays) with the chances to get vegan options when visiting a "typical" restaurant. Those are markedly lower, unless you go - like most German vegans and vegetarians - for ethnic food like Italian or Chinese.

When I was still in Germany, my daily meal in my company cafeteria was ... a huge salad. Mind you, I like salad, but after having eaten salad day in, day out, for about a year, I was yearning for something different....

• Like Like x 1
  16. AeryFairy

AeryFairy Anachronism Administrator

I'm back now (after 14 hours of travelling, starting at around midnight, kill meeeeee). I even managed to find something that I'm relatively certain was vegan at the little 24 hour to-go cafe in the train station - an apple pastry, which was marked as vegetarian and did not contain any milk or eggs as allergens. There wasn't a full list of ingredients, so I can't be 100% sure, but I ate it anyway because it was 2am and I was unbelievably hungry.

I really enjoyed my trip, and can't wait to go back - I'm thinking maybe february for Karneval :D

• Like Like x 7
  17. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

18. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

Germany is not a popular touristic destination for most people over here, so I've never met anyone who has actually been there. I must admit that it is not on my list of countries to visit.

I know that there is quite a large German ex pat community in Spain because of the sun and booze as they say.

When I think of Germany, discount food stores (Lidl, Aldi) and excellent household appliances ; Siemens, Miele,Neff, always come to mind. Solid, robot cars like Audi and BMW and motorways that have no speed limits.

19. Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders Deity

That seems strange. I have met a few Germans living here (I usually meet them in Irish bars for some reasono_O:D) and they say Germany is quite similar to the UK but it is cheaper to live in German cities, probably because of the housing!

I read about this last year.Creative young Brits are quitting London for affordable Berlin | World news | The Guardian

I would like to go to Italy as I've never been there.:)

20. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

Why do you think it's strange ?:)

I've been to Italy however never to Rome or Florence.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice