1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Can Anyone Help? 2018

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by shyvas, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra MadamSarcastra, over & out.

Oh, damn.... I'm really trying to be very sparing with palm oil use because the ethics behind it are pretty horrific.... I don't know if coconut oil is much better, however.... :shrug:

I try not to look that stuff up too often because I'm afraid I'll run out of things to eat! :confused: LOL

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  2. Mischief

Mischief Stranger in a strange land

The vegan margarines over here contain palm oil also, at least all the ones I've seen.

I use Crisco for pie crusts.Nothing else works as well for a flaky, tender crust.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

I don't remember the brand but my cousin buys a non dairy spread that is palm oil free.

Vegan Butter - Shopping Guide, Recipes & More

Most of the non dairy spreads over here don't contain palm oil. The reason is that consumers weren't buying them
    due to health reasons.

I also like Trex which is the UK equivalent of crispo for making pastry as it does have a nicer texture.

Anyway coming back to the recipe you can make truffles with just chocolate and non dairy cream. You can also dump the recipe if it's too complicated.:yes:

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. KLS52

KLS52 Only Kindness Matters

• Like Like x 1
  5. PTree15

PTree15 Beach bum

I have not tried a vegan one, but yes, this looks intriguing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. shyvas

I remember making swiss roles/roulade when I was at school. I have also seen them being made on various baking shows on TV. I think that the vegan version would give you a slightly denser sponge due not having using eggs in the recipe.

However, there is no reason why it couldn't be rolled successfully. There are a few tips that I still remember and they can be found in the following link. The main ones that I still remember are to use greaseproof/parchement paper. Be careful not to overcook the sponge if not it will crack and will be difficult to roll. Immediately trim off the ends and roll up tightly whilst the sponge is still warm with parchement paper. Place a humid kitchen towel over the sponge whilst it's cooling down. Unroll carefully when cold and add the filling.
    Don't worry if there are any apparent cracks as you will be able to cover them with the plant based butter/cream icing.

Swiss Roll Cake with Strawberries and Cream | Let's Eat Cake

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. KLS52

Ok, cool. I think I will try it! What’s the worst that can happen? It falls apart and I end up eating cake pieces with icing, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. shyvas

If the worse things happens, you could also make a trifle with it. I think the key word is not too over bake.

• Like Like x 2
  9. KLS52

Ok, duly noted and thanks! :)

10. shyvas

Hey, someone listens to me !! :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. KLS52

I try, lol. We should take bets on whether or not I actually do it. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. shyvas

I'm off to the bookies !! :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. KLS52

Don’t you want to know the odds first? :lol:

14. shyvas

10 to 1 ? :p

• Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice