• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

British V American Food Terminology


Just lazing around
Because those three are the words I'd use :) actually, never heard of a bam at all... And I've only ever heard buttie used when it had a filling (chip buttie, sausage buttie, etc), not just for the roll on its own.
Oh, I just assumed that you were naming all the weird words you people use for breads like that.

Wish that I still had that thread with the discussion about the proper name.


I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
I was going to go with roll. :)

Up here people call cakes buns. It's not a bun it's a cake! Ah, how can the UK be so small, and yet some words so localised?


Veteran Member
I was thinking a bap, but hard to tell from the pic (is it a roll that you put sandwich fillings/meat into?)

Some other thoughts:

Bing cherries are specific cherries, not just black ones in general.
digestives and graham crackers are not the same thing exactly (graham refers to the type of flour used)
it's just "zucchini" not "small zucchini", unless of course, your zucchini is size-challenged
Demerera sugar is most definitely not the same as American brown sugar (which contains molasses)
Powdered milk is much more common that "dry milk" (though it says that on the package I suppose)
gingersnaps are chewy usually, gingernuts are definitely not
I've baked loads and have never heard someone instructing me to use a "leavening agent". "Baking powder" it is
Cream of Wheat is a specific brand of mush in the US/Canada, and is not made from semolina
not "cultured", but just "sour cream" (sounds like elitist sour cream, heh)
They gut fish in America too. Also whisk stuff, grill things (broil = old fashioned)
All the UK folks I know use "kitchen towels" not "kitchen paper"
Patty cases? Never heard that one before either. Neither "top and tail berries" Top and tail is what I do to Freya each day
Skillet is much less common in most places in the US than "frying pan" (I often here "fry pan" here)
I've never heard anyone on either side of the Atlantic say "cauliflowerets". Florets is commonly used in the US

Some others:

pizza base = pizza crust

fatfree milk = skim milk
Oi, I'm sure I should know more. I spent the first three months here getting to know all the staff at Waitrose (supermarket) because I didn't know what things were called. :D