1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

British English slang

Discussion in 'Media & Entertainment' started by Indian Summer, Jan 16, 2019.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Cult Leader Administrator

I've started this thread for the purpose of discussing British English slang.

One of my colleagues used the expression 'a special constable' about another colleague who wasn't present, though from the context I don't think he meant to say the other colleague was doing actual policing, but rather something not PG13! (It was all in good fun, no offence meant.) However, I've tried to google to see if this is a common slang term, but have actually found nothing at all. So was my colleague just inventing his own slang terminology? It's absolutely possible.

2. beancounter

beancounter The Fire That Burns Within

3. Mischief

Mischief Stranger in a strange land

Could it be from Cockney rhyming slang? I can never figure those out on my own.

4. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Cult Leader Administrator

I did see that - yes, quite literal, not what I was hoping for!
    That's probably it - if it doesn't make any sense, it's probably Cockney :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice