• You are now in the Debates forum. Even if they are wrong, please treat other members with respect. The VV Debate forum guidelines have additional advice on how to debate in a civil manner.
  • Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

UK Brexit aftermath/repercussions

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
As far as I understand we are still heading towards a General Election and the last thing I read was that it will (possibly) be another hung parliament.
It's probably in Labour's interest to postpone the election until after the UK has secured a Brexit extension from the EU. It's also unclear if BoJo can propose an election again now since that bill has already been voted on (and failed). As we remember from May's attempts to get the Withdrawal agreement through, she was stopped by the speaker when she tried to have a vote on essentially the same bill multiple times.

M

Moll Flanders

The EU could deny another extension, but they probably would give us one. I think the legal default is still no deal. The Brexit party would probably do well in a GE if we don't leave by October 31st.

I can imagine if I had voted Leave that I would be responding positively to what Boris Johnson is saying. If we did leave by the deadline I wonder if the Tories would do a lot better than people are predicting.

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
A summary of the latest Brexit-related news:
  • France has threatened to block another Brexit extenstion
  • BoJo will prorogue Parliament as of tonight.
  • John Bercow will step down as Speaker in the Commons on 31. October.
  • The bill to stop no deal has been granted royal assent, so that's now law.

Andy_T

Addicted Poster
Forum Moderator

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
Just saw this!

But it will not immediately affect the current suspension of Parliament, which started in the early hours of Tuesday.

This is because no order has been given by the court to cancel the suspension ahead of a full hearing at the Supreme Court in London which starts on Tuesday of next week.
(11. Sept. 2019)

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Another Tory has defected to the LibDems - comment by Nicola Sturgeon (SNP leader and First Minister of Scotland):

:lol:
Over here in the US, we have some Republicans defecting from the GOP to become either Democrats or Independents. We dyed-in-the-wool Democrats are a little nervous about the Republicans coming into the Democratic Party, because we don’t like the thought of former Republicans trying to push the party rightward. Is that something that comes up amongst their counterparts in the UK?

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
Over here in the US, we have some Republicans defecting from the GOP to become either Democrats or Independents. We dyed-in-the-wool Democrats are a little nervous about the Republicans coming into the Democratic Party, because we don’t like the thought of former Republicans trying to push the party rightward. Is that something that comes up amongst their counterparts in the UK?
I'm not sure. The Lib Dems are somewhat middle-of-the-road on economic issues and liberal on social issues, I believe. To my mind they're not really the 'progressive party', anyway, although I think they've attempted to claim that niche in the Brexit era. The Labour party is perhaps the more progressive party, at least since Corbyn became party leader. But I don't think there are any Tories defecting to the Labour party, though. Which makes sense, because they're politically closer to the Lib Dems.

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator

Indian Summer

Cult Leader
Administrator
The supreme court is currently working on a verdict on whether the suspension of Parliament was lawful. The case was originally brought by Gina Miller and John Major in an English court (unsuccessful), and by a group of MPs in the highest court of Scotland (successful). Both these groups then came together for the supreme court case. If I understand correctly, a verdict is likely to be made public on Wednesday next week.