1. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Security Privacy Blackmail email

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Technology' started by Indian Summer, Jul 27, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

I received the below email today, thought I should share :)

For the record, I'm not particularly concerned :) Yes, they had found a username and password I had used aeons ago on some site I have since learned was hacked. That is all. All the stuff about hacking into my computer is a fairytale.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. blues

blues World Class Member

That seems a fairly calm intelligent response to a very unintelligent email.;)

3. Indian Summer

Well, I'm fairly thick-skinned with these kinds of things after spending a lot of time online since around 1995! Also, I just would have thought if they really had hacked into my computer like they claim, then they would have wanted to include some evidence, at least the list of my contacts, the actual name of the site they claim I visited, maybe some screenshots from my computer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. blues

blues World Class Member

They are all over the place down in NZ. I suppose they have sucker punched some into paying up. It's all rather sad to watch what some parts of the internet have turned into.

5. Indian Summer

The Internet has become an interesting place, much like society in general ...

The blackmailers have now sent me a second email with the exact same wording, just a different sender and bitcoin address (BTC address). So apparently they forgot they had already sent the first email. This is all starting to look rather amateur-like now :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice