• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

TV & Film Bill Cosby

Joe

Celebrity Member
On the motivations of rapists:

The World Health Organization (WHO) states that the principal factors that lead to the perpetration of sexual violence, including rape, are:[45]

• beliefs in family honor and sexual purity;
  • ideologies of male sexual entitlement;
  • weak legal sanctions for sexual violence.
There is no single scientific theory that conclusively explains the motivation for rape; the motives of rapists can be multi-factorial and are subject to debate. Several factors have been proposed: anger; a desire for power; sadism; sexual gratification in tandem with evolutionary proclivities.[46][47] American clinical psychologist David Lisak, author of a landmark 2002 study of undetected rapists, says that compared with non-rapists, both undetected and convicted rapists are measurably more angry at women and more motivated by a desire to dominate and control them, are more impulsive, disinhibited, anti-social and hyper-masculine, and less empathic.[48]
Rape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another thought about Cosby (at least for me) is that I am unable to understand the psychology of someone who could do what he is accused of doing. No, just because I cannot understand it does not mean it cannot be true. But I can't wrap my mind around it.
I felt this way about a previous member of the other board who did some very horrible things, but online always seemed like a nice person.

Another thought I have is I wonder whether we can't separate the artist or performer from the work of art they create, at least to some degree. And I wonder whether we cannot have a "scales of justice" model where we put the good things a person has done on one side of the scales and the bad things on the other side and come up with some sort of balanced portrait.
It depends on what those bad things are. Finding out they cheated on a test in college or had a drug problem is one thing that could probably be forgiven, especially if it was in the past. But, some things are so heinous that there isn't any amount of good that could outweigh the bad. Committing multiple rape attacks will effect the life of multiple people, including the victims, their families, and their friends. What kind of good things could they do that would outweigh something like that? I don't think playing make believe on TV should be counted as a good deed.

M

Moll Flanders

Woody Allen defended Polanski in an interview I read. And I read an article awhile back that listed pedophilic references in Woody Allen's movies.

I stopped supporting his films when, in his 50's, he was caught having a secret sexual relationship with Mia Farrow's teenaged daughter, including nude photos, whom he was a father figure to, while still involved with her mother, Mia. He married the young girl later, and they have 2 adopted daughters. :shudders:
I meant to say how was he able to adopt children if he had accusations of child sexual abuse made about him? Or maybe the adoptions were before they were made. You would think the fact that he married his stepdaughter might have been a red flag for the adoption agencies.

Spang

Foot Fetisher
"You can laugh and criticize Michael Jackson if you wanna
Woody Allen molested and married his step-daughter
Same press kickin' dirt on Michael's name
Show Woody and Soon-Yi at the playoff game, holdin' hands
Sit back and just think about that
Would he get that type of dap if his name was Woody Black?"

--Mos Def

I don't agree that Cosby should go live quietly into the country and let people continue to keep him as an idol. He is a rapist of the worst kind--gaining women's trust and then drugging and attacking them when they are helpless.

Joseph C Phillips seems to mourn the death of his admiration for the mentor of his youth more than the death of the innocence and trust in the women violated by Cosby.

Joe

Celebrity Member
I don't agree that Cosby should go live quietly into the country and let people continue to keep him as an idol. He is a rapist of the worst kind--gaining women's trust and then drugging and attacking them when they are helpless.
So, what would you propose?

BTW, one of his victims called him a sociopath. If this diagnosis is correct, then it would appear he needs psychiatric care.

Mischief

Stranger in a strange land
Perhaps not, but they can be treated. Better than not being treated at all IMHO.
The problem is that sociopaths generally are satisfied with themselves, and don't seek treatment. That's why, apart from having figured out that there is a strong genetic component to sociopathy, little is known about what other factors contribute to it.

So, what would you propose?

BTW, one of his victims called him a sociopath. If this diagnosis is correct, then it would appear he needs psychiatric care.
I propose that he be charged, and tried in court if possible, with the drugging and rape of the women that he drugged and raped. I propose that venues, tv, and radio stop booking his shows. I don't care how old, famous, and jello-eating he is; I don't care how many years ago he committed the crimes.

I read that it was the medication quaalude that he admitted he used to drug the women he attacked. That med does not exist anymore (I think).

In the 1970s when I was in college, I overheard a drunk male acquaintance laughing and telling a friend that he had slipped a 'lude in the drink of "the preacher's daughter". My friend and I turned off the music at the party, and I yelled out "All preachers' daughters come over here for a free prize!" A very wasted 18-year old staggered over.

She said that she had had one glass of punch (it was very strong, but not that strong). I asked who had been hitting on her, and she said that the quaalude drugger was the one (she called him by his name). I asked if she had taken any pills, and she said no.

A couple of us girls took her to her dorm room and put her to bed. One of our friends beat the drugger up the next day, not at our request. We never went to the authorities, maybe we should have. The victim didn't want us to, we told her the next day what had happened. She was flabbergasted that she remembered nothing of the party, total blackout, and amazed that we would do that for her even though we didn't know her at the time. I told her that all girls have to take care of each other, especially when drinking.

M

Moll Flanders

I've read that it was once believed that antisocial personality disorder wasn't treatable but it can be in some cases. Antisocial personality disorder - NHS Choices

I think he should be in prison if he is guilty but if he can receive treatment while in there (and it is appropriate) then he should. IMO the main point of prisoners getting mental health help or behavioural therapy is to make sure they don't commit suicide while in there or to attempt to make an effort to limit the chance of them offending again when they are released.

"Sociopath" is often incorrectly used, simply as an insult. Cosby might not be a sociopath and might just be a horrible, horrible person.

In either scenario, he should not get out of this scot free.
Yes, I agree. If he is guilty then I would think he arrogantly thought he could get away with it because of his fame.

Joe

Celebrity Member

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
I propose that he be charged, and tried in court if possible, with the drugging and rape of the women that he drugged and raped. I propose that venues, tv, and radio stop booking his shows. I don't care how old, famous, and jello-eating he is; I don't care how many years ago he committed the crimes.

I read that it was the medication quaalude that he admitted he used to drug the women he attacked. That med does not exist anymore (I think).

In the 1970s when I was in college, I overheard a drunk male acquaintance laughing and telling a friend that he had slipped a 'lude in the drink of "the preacher's daughter". My friend and I turned off the music at the party, and I yelled out "All preachers' daughters come over here for a free prize!" A very wasted 18-year old staggered over.

She said that she had had one glass of punch (it was very strong, but not that strong). I asked who had been hitting on her, and she said that the quaalude drugger was the one (she called him by his name). I asked if she had taken any pills, and she said no.

A couple of us girls took her to her dorm room and put her to bed. One of our friends beat the drugger up the next day, not at our request. We never went to the authorities, maybe we should have. The victim didn't want us to, we told her the next day what had happened. She was flabbergasted that she remembered nothing of the party, total blackout, and amazed that we would do that for her even though we didn't know her at the time. I told her that all girls have to take care of each other, especially when drinking.

That was extremely clever of you considering how young you were.