1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)
    Dismiss Notice

Philosophy Are you living an authentic life?

Discussion in 'Social Sciences & Humanities' started by Indian Summer, Oct 14, 2012.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Clueless Git

Clueless Git Plant powered

Given the primary definition of Authentic; of undisputed origin and not a copy; genuine:

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever.

Clues abound that being 'authentic' is very important to people though.

Whole thing minds me of the saying "I want to be different, just like everybody else ..."

2. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

I came across this little video on the topic:

3. Capstan

Capstan Fleur-de-Lis

Only those with birth certificates are authentic. Everybody else is fake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. So if I want to, and do, live an un-authentic life, I'm being authentic? o_O

5. Capstan

Capstan Fleur-de-Lis

As the author of the unauthenticity, yes.

6. Poppy

Poppy Ankle Biter

It's probably a whole lot easier for those of us who don't have to struggle to make ends meet to live an "authentic life" than those who do. Not having to deal with the daily grind must be like hitting the "authentic life" lottery - which makes it seem pretty inauthentic actually.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

Yes, having to struggle and earn your living could be considered as ''authentic''.

8. So if I inherit an obscene amount of money at birth, I can not life an authetic life, unless I give it all away?

9. Blobbenstein

Blobbenstein .......

probably what Jesus would have said.

10. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Administrator Owner

Is it more difficult for women to live authentic lives?

"If Samus chooses to fight space pirates as part of her project to free the galaxy of the intergalactic yoke of evil space pirates ... Is she merely interiorizing a patriarchal standard by replicating a masculine myth of virility? ... What about if she wears a bikini?"