• Curious about veganism or vegetarianism? Why not ask us a question? (You don't have to sign up, or be vegan or vegetarian!)

5 Reasons Not To Buy a SUV

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
There seem to be more and more of them on our roads. Not only are they not echo friendly but lots of
people just drive them to the shops or local schools.:rolleyes:

Val

Extraterrestrial
There seem to be more and more of them on our roads. Not only are they not echo friendly but lots of
people just drive them to the shops or local schools.:rolleyes:

Damn it, you're right! They devour enormous quantities of petrol and make emissions go through the roof.😡 Moreover, they create jams in the crowded city center, and they occupy a lot of space on small suburban parking lots.🙄

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
True, but IMO they are still not as impractical as pickup trucks ....
I was comparing an SUV to a standard car and not a pick up.

I really don't see the point of an average person owning one. They consume so much petrol and space for no valid reason. Moreover, many SUV drivers think that they own the roads and tailgate.

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
With their hulking weight and high driving position, SUVs exude a feeling of safety for those behind the wheel, but it can sometimes be an illusion. In 2003, traffic data from the US government
found that people driving or riding in an SUV were 11 per cent more likely to die in an accident than people in cars – thanks to their high centre of gravity and tendency to roll over in crashes.

They’re even worse news for pedestrians: SUVs are around twice as likely as cars to kill pedestrians they hit. With their high bumpers, SUVs tend to hit pedestrians in the chest and knock them to the ground, rather than flipping them onto the relatively soft bonnet, as is the case in passenger cars.
Despite being less fuel efficient, more polluting and sometimes more dangerous than passenger cars, the SUV isn’t going anywhere. Growing sales in Africa and the rest of the developing world suggest that when car drivers become more affluent, they start thinking about upgrading to larger vehicles. But if we can’t kick our attachment to SUVs, how else can we get out of the environmental cul-de-sac we’re driving down?

SUVs are way worse for the planet than anyone previously thought

PTree15

Beach bum
I was comparing an SUV to a standard car and not a pick up.

I really don't see the point of an average person owning one. They consume so much petrol and space for no valid reason. Moreover, many SUV drivers think that they own the roads and tailgate.
This is true about their thinking they own the road. I had an SUV for a while, but I swear, I wasn't like that. :D It came in handy when I moved, though, for hauling a lot of stuff. I now have a smaller car that gets much better mileage.

shyvas

Deity
Forum Moderator
This is true about their thinking they own the road. I had an SUV for a while, but I swear, I wasn't like that. :D It came in handy when I moved, though, for hauling a lot of stuff. I now have a smaller car that gets much better mileage.
I'm sure that you weren't a tailgater. Some people, mainly men feel so superior on the roads when they have huge cars.:rolleyes:

PTree15

Beach bum
I'm sure that you weren't a tailgater. Some people, mainly men feel so superior on the roads when they have huge cars.:rolleyes:
Exactly. Their driving behavior is atrocious. They routinely cut people off without using directionals and are just aggressive in general. They are particularly awful in the winter when it snows. They drive as if there were no snow on the ground, forgetting that you still need distance to stop in time to avoid crashes. Four-wheel drive is great, but it doesn't mean you have a license to drive like a maniac in bad weather.