1. If there's anything you're not sure about, why not check out the how-to guide for forum information?

Would We Be Healthier With a Vegan Diet? - WSJ Debate

Discussion in 'The Vegan Forum' started by Werewolf Girl, Sep 19, 2012.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Werewolf Girl

Werewolf Girl Veteran Member

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444184704577587174077811182.html

I think it's so cool the Wall Street Journal posted this, vegan diets are becoming more and more mainstream.

The omni rebuttal is pretty ridiculous though, as if humans need the milk of another animal to be healthy. :rolleyes:

2. Envy

Envy As seen on the Simpsons Forum Moderator

No, I'm struggling to eat already, so I would probably starve on a vegan diet.

3. Alice-Bee

Alice-Bee Mad as A Hatter

That is not because a vegan diet isnt a healthy one its because you are a picky eater, which is also the reason alot of people fail at a vegan diet or claim it makes them 'ill'.

4. RabbitLuvr

RabbitLuvr I love rabbits.

All this time, I thought I HAD to eat broccoli.

5. peacefulveglady

peacefulveglady Peacefully Veg Out !!!!!

I am getting closer to Vegan ever before but still need to work on it, i am considering 100 percent plant base diet in my diet now since having health problems.

Freesia, Lord Snot and led.boots like this.
  6. Calliegirl

Calliegirl Addicted Poster

Nice to see the poll is an overwhelming yes, even if it probably is mostly veg*ns voting.

7. Underdog

Underdog Friendly neighbourhood vegan

I don't know a lot about the average American diet, but have heard that it involves a lot of processed food? Whereas if you were vegetarian or vegan, you would usually research food, nutrition, or have to cook from fresh?

I don't think either diet is healthier. It depends on the individual.

8. Danielle

Danielle Addicted Poster

Vegans are allowed to be unhealthy too. Just saying. :p

9. Kitties

Kitties Veteran Member

I didn't read the whole article. I think the American diet is far from ideal. I'm in awe of how much fast food I see consumed. I'm vegan and not the healthiest eater. Not a junk food vegan either. There are many vegan foods that are not the best for you. Potato chips are one of my main weaknesses.

I do like vegetables and I do like broccoli!

Digger likes this.
  10. Alice-Bee

Alice-Bee Mad as A Hatter

I fudgin' love broccoli!

thefadedone likes this.
  11. thefadedone

thefadedone Needs a life

:broccoli: Life without these little trees would be very disappointing.

Freesia and ledboots like this.
  12. Digger

Digger Guest

Potato chips are one of my weaknesses as well, but since my diet is otherwise quite healthy I feel that I can indulge from time to time and still come out ahead of the rest.

thefadedone likes this.
  13. RabbitLuvr

RabbitLuvr I love rabbits.

Omg, I love potato chips so much. (Both definitions of "chips," I love them all.)

14. Envy

I can eat many things, because I either work out or undereat in general.

15. Lord Snot

Lord Snot Parsley Provider

I do think the health argument has a lot of gaping flaws. Certainly in the 3D world I don't talk about that when I'm speaking with an omni about vegetarianism. Sometimes I do it online if I can see the person is interested in health but not animals.

It's always great when a mainstream publication opens a debate about veganism, but personally I wouldn't choose to base it on health arguments.

mlp likes this.
  16. mlp

mlp Guest

Agreed. It's perfectly possible to eat a very healthy omni diet, and likewise perfectly possible to eat a very unhealthy vegan diet, so going vegan for health is not terribly persuasive in the case of most people.

17. Envy

but liek peta sed tat teh meet rotts in ur bely foar 1000! years alsu wen ur eeting cute < 33333 kows u wil like dieeee fromm the fat omg haw can u eat the adorrable cowws you monstir!