1. If there's anything you're not sure about, why not check out the how-to guide for forum information?

B12 deficiency and psychosis

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Diet' started by Blobbenstein, Aug 9, 2013.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Blobbenstein

Blobbenstein ...

http://jacknorrisrd.com/more-b12-psychosis/

I saw this on the VV tweets on the front page.

2. Music Platter

Music Platter Barefoot Philosopher

Shoot. I'm pretty sure that I don't get a lot of B12.

One of the comments on the page was interesting, with bold added by me:

I'm not very experienced on vitamin information. Does anyone know if this is possible?
  3. KLS52

KLS52 Ready to let go

I don't know about the psychosis part, but my co-worker/friend has permanent nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy) due to low B12. :(

I have my levels checked yearly and thankfully, they are fine. :) I do supplement.
  4. SummerRain

SummerRain I dreamed that God would be forgiving.

:( How frightening.
  5. Dedalus

Dedalus Mercurial and fleeting

What do you supplement with? My wife has become very concerned about this sort of thing.

Here are the two articles that are worrying her:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...e-most-dangerous-side-effect-of-veganism.aspx

http://chriskresser.com/what-everyone-especially-vegetarians-should-know-about-b12-deficiency
  6. shyvas

shyvas Deity Forum Moderator

I'm also a bit worried and only have a yearly test for B12 levels.
  7. KLS52

KLS52 Ready to let go

I use the liquid B12. And I'm not even that regimented about it. I will take it faithfully for a few weeks then skip a few then get back on it. I do consume quite bit of nutritional yeast...probably 5 days out of seven.
  8. Blobbenstein

Blobbenstein ...

I go through phases of not taking the depressing veg1 pills, but I take a multi vit with b12 every day, so that is something, although that is only 100% rda.
  9. KLS52

KLS52 Ready to let go

The second link is interesting and concerning. I may switch to a B12 spray and see if I can get a more advanced blood test. I know I am getting on in years, but I do not like the changes I am seeing over the last 12-18 months or so...can relate to the brain fog, memory issues and lack of interest in things I used to love to do. It's too easy to dismiss it to menopause and aging. I'd rather be sure.
  10. shyvas

I also read that the older you get the harder it is for the stomach to absorb vit B12 and one should consider having injections.
  11. Calliegirl

Calliegirl Addicted Poster

I had a deficiency many years ago when I was still a lacto-ovo vegetarian. My symptoms were so bad, they were testing me for MS. The doctor said it wasn't due to my diet, I just wasn't able to absorb it. They gave me injections, but they barely did anything. Now I take a Methyl-B12 supplement and it's made all the difference. It's already converted to a form your body can use, so there aren't any absorption issues. My levels are around 1000 now (it was under 200), but when I don't take it for awhile (I tend to forget) my level drops quickly.

You should stay far, far away from anything Mercola (aka Dr. Quack) says.
    Freesia likes this.
  12. thefadedone

thefadedone Needs a life

I always take the sublingual pills. I was taking 2-3 500mcg pills a day. I also take a multi vitamin every day. I have my blood tested frequently and apparently the results show "super human amounts of B12" according to my dr. I've been advised to cut back. They are just so tasty though!:p
  13. Freesia

Freesia Addicted Poster

I agree about the Mercola website. There are some good articles and ideas on there about some health issues, but when it comes to veg*nism, it is a strongly Paleo influenced website. I would rather look at articles by vegans experienced and knowledgeable about B12, such as Ginny Messina.
    thefadedone and Indian Summer like this.
  14. Calliegirl

He tends to jump on whatever trend is popular at the time and will make him the most money.
    Freesia likes this.
  15. shyvas

That must have been very frightening Callie. I hope that all is well and your symptoms have dissapeared.

I usually have a few tablets per week; NOw Methyl B12 5000 mcg. I wonder whether I should get tested every 6 months for B12 levels ?
  16. KLS52

KLS52 Ready to let go

Does anyone know why it is stated to put B12 liquid under the tongue and hold it there for 30 seconds before swallowing? It's already liquid...what exactly does keeping it under the tongue do? I understand that you want to do that with a tablet...so it dissolves.
  17. shyvas

It is absorbed much quicker into the blood stream in this way. The same thing applies for homeophatic remedies.
  18. Dedalus

Dedalus Mercurial and fleeting

Good information - I knew there must be another (sane) viewpoint. Thanks all.
  19. Calliegirl

Yes, I am much better now. I have some permanent damage because it took so long to get diagnosed (I was seeing a nurse practitioner and she thought it was all in my head, so it took forever to get a referral to an actual doctor), but most of the problems are gone.

If your B12 level has been consistently at a good level at your yearly testing, I wouldn't worry about doing it every six months.
  20. Indian Summer

Indian Summer Mind Over Matter Owner

Some of it can be absorbed directly through the tongue, I believe. I would think the longer you can hold it, the more is absorbed, but maybe there is a limit, so maybe more than 30 seconds isn't going to do you any good? Just guessing, really.
: b12